Author Topic: Did Interior Panels have Date codes?  (Read 7044 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Did Interior Panels have Date codes?
« on: January 24, 2011, 04:47:53 AM »
 I am replacing my Interior Door Panels (bottom edges are very ragged), I was looking at the back of the original Door panels and Rear 1/4 panels and I see what looks like Date codes.  And they match up with other Date codes I have found(weeks 43 and 44)on the car.  I am going to try to post pics..   I also found what looks like part #'s :  7639331 LF on Drivers panel, and 7639330 R? on Pass. panel.  I Did not find such a # on the 1/4 panels.  Have you seen this before?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Did Interior Panels have Date codes?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »
I seem to remember a square white sticker on the back side of my Custom Interior door panels with a date code. The panels I put on the car were not the originals so I did not bother to check the dates.

-Mark.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »
Spare 68 front and rear panels I have are printed as in the above pics; nothing out of the ordinary. Not entirely related but GTO panels I have are stamped in.

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 03:43:39 PM »
I was sur[rised to see a date code printed on the underside of my dash pad when I took it off a few years back. Wish I could get it properly recovered so I could reuse it again...

Randy

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 03:55:04 PM »
Original Door panels for a 10D 1968 built 69 Z28.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 06:49:39 PM »
I was sur[rised to see a date code printed on the underside of my dash pad when I took it off a few years back. Wish I could get it properly recovered so I could reuse it again...

Randy
You may want to read this and view photos of recent pad coverings. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190353

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
Thank you Scott I didn't know AK was doing these things and they do look good...

My original is in very good condition underneath and the frame and attachment points are like new with only one crack in the top layer, so it should be an excellent candidate for recovering since some of the ones shown in the link were fairly rough and still turned vastly better than the repops.
   I have a friend that goes to Spring Carlisle often and I'lll have to keep and eye on further feedback about these and if the news and cost remains as good I may try and find a way to send my old one out and get it picked up via my friend in April.
   Thanks very much for this info!

Randy 

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
Dutch, One crack? How severe and in what location?  

Boston14

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 10:19:18 PM »
Here's a picture of my 1969 RH interior door panel and inside door panel. The interior door panel is original and dated 10-14-68. My build date is 11D.  The second picture is the tag attached to the door.  When I worked for a Chevrolet dealer in the early '70s (1971) thru the '80s, we had to attach one half of the tag to the warranty repair order to prove we had the panel off for glass adjustments etc.

boston14
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 01:19:37 AM »
Dutch, One crack? How severe and in what location? 

Scott - had to go down to the basement to scrounge it out after your question here to check (its obviously been a while)... crack is approximately above the left side of the heater conrols / ignition key area and is sort of a circle area on the top and doesn't carry over the front or rear edges at all.
Almost like it was hit with something at one point (maybe in the cold) otherwise it is in great condition - even for a 50K car from Canada, but it was garaged a lot and we don't get the same kind of sun exposure as down in the US.
Actually the whole thing aside from the crack is still in amazing condition - even better than I recalled - and has virtually no rust on any of the exposed metal underneath or down the sides.
I just noticed while looking now, that aside from the date stamp 122167 it also has a stamped silver paint logo from the manufacturer that used a stylized 'Q' is the centre of a circle that says 'MADE IN CANADA'...
It also has a chalk or yellow crayon 'M 17' written on the underside as well.
Wonder if anyone knows who the jobber was that used the 'Q' id in Canada for GM back then???
As for the comments on the link you provided, the front edge of the pad on mine is .260" thick before the bevel - close to the thickness Jerry McNeish measured and posted...
Randy 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 01:33:01 AM »
Yes, I believe they were date coded. Here's how mine were ink stamped (12437CLGR52) and the "52" coincides very well with the build week of my car.

-Jon

Jon Mello
CRG

anything