Author Topic: Walnut or Rosewood??  (Read 7540 times)

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Walnut or Rosewood??
« on: May 16, 2006, 09:35:33 PM »
I have seen several references to two different variations in the '69 three spoke, custome steering wheel that is shown below.  I have seen references to both a walnut and rosewood wheel, with the rosewood wheel being the most desirable.

How do you tell conclusively whether or not a 3 spoke steering wheel is the walnut or rosewood version?  Color? Part number that can only be seen if the steering wheel is removed?

My  '69 RS has the custom steering wheel.  I've never had it off of the steering column so I don't know if there is a part number on the back side of the center section or not.  The car does have custom interior.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Walnut or Rosewood??
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 10:13:54 PM »
Well, your 69 should be rosewood: "The interior simulated woodgrain pattern was changed from walnut (68) to rosewood (69)." from General Information CRG. 
Color should tell you --assuming you do not want to take it apart, like you said.  (If you cannot tell, ask anyone who knows anything about wood or get a color chart at the hardware store.  If you know what stains look like, it is easy to tell.)
As to what was most "desirable", that question has gone on between 68 and 69 owners ever since the first 69 came into the showroom... 
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 10:25:06 PM »
Thanks - completely missed the reference in the General Info. section.  But sure enough ......

Q: What are the major differences between the 1968 and 1969 models?

A: Again, there were obviously a large number of minor differences, but we will focus on the major visual differences to aid instant recognition at a distance.

While the 1969 hood, roof, and deck did not change appearance, the body lines were significantly modified at the nose, fenders, quarters, and tailpan, giving the Camaro a more streamlined look. A molded body streak extended from the rear of each wheel opening, adding to the effect.

Other 1969 model discriminators:

Tail light bezels were changed to a triple-lens styling.
The angle of the standard grille, always taken to a center point, was increased to make it more "pointy," and the size of the grille openings was increased. The RallySport grille was redesigned.
A body-colored soft front bumper option was added.
A rear quarterpanels side "louver" impression was included in the sheetmetal in front of the rear wheels (this impression was overlayed with chrome trim as part of the Z21 option).
The dash was redesigned.
The interior simulated woodgrain pattern was changed from walnut (68) to rosewood (69).
The ignition switch moved from the dash to the steering column.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:39:03 AM »
Not so fast.  Early 69s with RPO N34 have been observed with Walnut woodgrain steering wheels.  I beleive the transition is sometime in the early October of 68 time frame.  But the majority of 69s are equipped with rosewood wheels.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 02:20:27 AM »
Since my '69 RS is an 01C (Jan 69, 3rd week) Norwood build, from what we know, Rosewood woodgrain should be what is on the steering wheel as well as the interior dash trim - correct?
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 02:55:35 AM »
The change from Walnut to Rosewood for the '69 N34 wheel took place late in November 1968.
Learning more and more about less and less...

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 03:42:02 AM »
Thank you all for the responses.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS