Author Topic: 68 fan clutch with AC  (Read 2976 times)

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
68 fan clutch with AC
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:46:57 PM »
Hey team,

I am looking for a rebuildable fan clutch for a 1968 SS 350 with AC. I have come across many and keep buying the wrong ones as I do not know what this clutch looks like.

Can anyone inform me as to what they looked like? I was informed that the after market ones are a new design for this application and are visually incorrect.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
John
68 07D SS350
John

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 68 fan clutch with AC
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »
Two types used back then: either the Eaton or Schwitzer (interchangeabe).
Here (http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=562.msg3176#msg3176) is a link you may want to look at.
Also, see pics (http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml#fan) at the bottom of report.

Steve

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
Thanks for the links. I have read these before but have not gained clarity. The images are missing from the posts and the statement below provides the diameter dim but not enough detail as to what I am looking for as the part number is not present on the clutch.
"All three fans have a 3-inch diameter clutch-to-fan attachment bolt circle. Three different fan clutch part numbers are listed as having been used with these fans, all having the matching 3-inch diameter bolt circle."

No where is it stated that the 69 Eaton is the same design as the 1968 for sb with AC. If they are it helps as there is a pic of one side. Can you clarify this or am I missing a detail between the lines.
Thanks,
John
68 07D SS350
John

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 04:51:53 PM »
The Eaton coil-type and Schwitzer bar-type clutches were used interchangeably (diifferent part numbers and appearance configuration, but same functional specs and attachments, shown as "Opt." in the Assembly Manual); either type is correct. The 1969 clutches used a larger 3-1/4" bolt circle at the fan-to-clutch attachment, and a larger bolt circle at the clutch-to-water pump hub attachment.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything