Author Topic: I need to replace my entire trunk pan etc.......  (Read 6135 times)

West,J.71

• View Profile
I need to replace my entire trunk pan etc.......
« on: May 16, 2006, 03:59:21 AM »
I need to replace my entire trunk pan,i went to NPD and bought a new full trunk pan. My car is a 1969 Camaro 396SS and it was a northern car. The entire trunk pan,inner rear fenders,outer rear fenders,quarters,and rear panel need to be replaced.They are rusted beyond repair and i need to know the best method to get to the trunk pan without causing a major disaster. I removed the driver side quarter,inner/outer fender and with those gone there is no support holding the top of the car up. I did put some steel rods inside the rear seat area to hold the roof up at the right height but the thought of removing the passager side scares me. What is the best method to get to the trunk pan without the roof of the car collapsing? Any info on this will be greatly helpful. Thank you

dougrmac

• View Profile
Re: I need to replace my entire trunk pan etc.......
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 07:55:12 PM »
I had to remove the tail panel on my 69 vert to get the one piece trunk pan in.

Doug

West,J.71

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 03:00:58 AM »
Well,i removed the tail pan and  that helped give me clearance. I just finished cutting out the old rusty trunk pan and that took a good 6 hours to get the old stuff out. Now i'm curious if anyone has ever replaced the entire floor pan? I'm not sure if i'm going to or not but there was a lot of rust where the trunk pan and floor pan meet. I've also noticed with more inspection that someone has welded in floor patch panels,they were just put in badly. The problem that i'm going to have now is trying to juggle the support i welded in the trunk to hold up the driver side roof. I'm also getting the sneaky suspition that the car was wrecked at one time on the driver side rear quarter because of some bent braces. I hope i can put this car back together without losing my sanity,because i have never jumped this deep into replacing parts before.

street rat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 05:09:42 PM »
I am replacing the complete rear on a 67 right now and I have the car body supported by the rafters in my ceiling and the chassis supported by jackstands, seems to be working really well.

I would opt for a complete floor if I were you if yours has the damage because for $300 you can replace the whole thing and not have to worry about fixing some one elses screw ups...

Scott - Street Rat

www.tulsastreetscene.com

street rat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 11:50:35 PM »
Here is a pic...

anything