Author Topic: AIM?  (Read 18482 times)

IZRSSS

AIM?
« on: January 07, 2011, 01:52:49 AM »
I purchased my '69 AIM several years ago from Classics Ind. There are a couple of issues; for one, the print at the bottom of most pages are difficult to read, and two, it's missing several pages. Is there anyone out there who has found a good quality reprint? And if so...who did you purchase it from?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:47:33 AM by IZRSSS »

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
Re: AIM?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:41:58 AM »
You will find that the printing is a bit poor on several pages. What you have I expect is normal. I have 3 copies and they are all the same.
Also, what paages do you think you are missing?
Are you looking for missing chapter pages (that might not actually be missing pages) or missing numbered pages?

I will happily scan and email what you need.  :)
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »
Steve,

I managed to find the missing pages on-line ('69) but the site I'm on takes forever to load, and doesn't allow copying. Offering to scan and email the missing pages is a very kind gesture! If you have the pages in the following list please let me know and I will PM you my email address.

• D33
  • A01
  • A30
  • D80 {missing A2}
  • U15 {very poor quality}
  • C08

Thanks again,

Marty

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
That's what I thought. You aren't missing any pages from your book. Those chapters are not included.

D80 A2 for example..
D80 A1 is page 247 and D90 A1 is page 248. D80 A2 is not included.

Here is a pic I have taken of U15 A1.
How does it compare to the quality of yours?

(click on the image when it fully loads to see it in 1200x1600 or I can scan in a better image as this is a photograph. Otherwise try http://www.scribd.com/doc/32913817/69-Camaro-AIM )

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:49:53 PM »
Like night & day! Your AIM looks like its attached to a binder and/ or a book. My copies are loose. In addition to my pages being of poor quality...they aren't numbered. Can you tell me how you aquired yours?

BTW, the link you posted is the same one I was using.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:17:24 PM by IZRSSS »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:49:33 PM »
Have you read this?

http://www.camaros.org/AIM.shtml

Each UPC group (0 through 14) and each option that has more than one sheet starts with a "contents" sheet (A1) that lists all the sheets in that section and what's on each sheet; if the group only has one sheet, A1 won't have any "contents" - just a regular illustration sheet. If you go to the "option index" section (follows UPC 14), you'll note that many of the listed options have an asterisk (*) in the margin - that means they aren't illustrated, mostly because they're Fisher Body-installed; the AIM only covers Chevrolet-installed parts.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lasereye

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
Mine is a bound soft cover book. Picked it up at the local Goodguys swap meet. $15-20 bucks. I believe most of the big First Gen part suppliers carry it.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 07:10:23 PM »
Some loose leaf editions are multiple copies away from the original, and thus not as legible. There is another thread where I hoped we could get some idea of who has better copies, but it never went that far.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 10:14:42 PM »
That's a great article John. Thanks to you & Art Armstrong.  :)

Marty, all of my AIMs are as good as each other and are all the book-bound style with the green header. (1969) Admittedly, some detail is lost to poor printing, but overall, very good and easily legible.
I have three copies. One in the garage that I use for assembly, one inside with me here for researching or sharing info on-line. and one that was my first copy and totally worn-out and fallen apart because I used it so much!  ;D They are such a valuable source of information.

Perhaps grab a book-bound copy as it seems the printing may be better than what you have..
There are plenty on eBay and they look like this..  ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAMARO-1969-Assembly-Manual-69-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a0f4a0cdQQitemZ290463195341QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 10:34:26 PM »
Found mine on eBay.  Book bound copy and very readable as Steve stated
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:15:56 PM »
Steve, I really appreciate the information on the "book bound style, green header". As far as I'm concerned, if all the pages are similar to the one you posted (U15), this is exactly what I'm looking for. Just want to make sure...is it a copy off of this same book? If it is I'll buy it now.

Phillip...Looks like we finally found one that's as good as they come. According to the write up on eBay, its the best quality out there.

Thanks John W. for the eBay info. In fact, the link that Steve posted leads you right to it.

JohnZ, thank you for directing my attention to your article. Like Steve said, great read.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:49:22 PM by IZRSSS »

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 02:07:03 AM »
Yes, the U15 A1 that I posted is extremely typical of the overall quality.  ;)

I'm glad I have seen this thread. A few times on these forums, other members have complained about the quality of printing in the AIM, and asked what I considered to be obvious questions, because I've always seen the information very clearly.
Makes me think now that perhaps those members have had the loose-leaf style AIM like your one where the printing is not so good.

Good luck Marty.

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 02:12:36 AM »
Just purchased it...thanks again Steve!

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 04:16:20 AM »
I have old loose-leaf 67 and 68 AIMs and the quality is fine. But they are 15-20 years old.
I saw the 67 and 69 originals at GM a few years ago. The 68 version was a copy, IIRC.
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »
I'll t-phone a local GM dealership today to see if these (originals) can still be purchased.

Thanks Kurt.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:06:19 PM by IZRSSS »

anything