Author Topic: Tune-Up Decal Position  (Read 8269 times)

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
Tune-Up Decal Position
« on: January 03, 2011, 01:08:08 AM »
In the 69 FAIM, UPC 0-B1, it clearly shows the position of the tune-up label..
(View A) Decal's left edge @ 3.50" to the left of the vehicle centerline, on the radiator support. Easy, but here's the question.

What about A/C cars that have the rubber seal across the top of the radiator support? Was this tune-up label then relocated to the fan shroud or was is still placed underneath the seal?
C60 (C60-B3 in particular) makes no note of an alternate location for the decal, and it appears that the seal's retaining clips would interfer with it's placement as well. The law/regulations of the day mandated it to be fitted to all cars and be visable.. So where did it go?  :)

The other question would be the coolant decal. It's been noted on here in another thread that this was never installed at the factory at all. (There is no mention of it in the FAIM either.)
So, was it ever a dealer install or just another decal dreamt up by the vendors like the "Caution Fan" decal in order to make another sale?
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

jacmac

• View Profile
Re: Tune-Up Decal Position
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:56:09 AM »
My 69 ac car tune up decal was located center of the fan shroud.Did not have a coolant decal.
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
mine is located center of the shroud left to right and to the edge on the engine side
Chris
69 SS 350

IZRSSS

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 11:27:54 PM »
In the 69 FAIM, UPC 0-B1, it clearly shows the position of the tune-up label..
(View A) Decal's left edge @ 3.50" to the left of the vehicle centerline, on the radiator support. Easy, but here's the question.

What about A/C cars that have the rubber seal across the top of the radiator support? Was this tune-up label then relocated to the fan shroud or was is still placed underneath the seal?

Steve, I had this same question a while back for my A/C car. Because of the seal, the label has to be placed SOMEWHERE else on the fan shroud. I emphasize somewhere, because the consensus was that it was up to the line-worker to chose where to place it on the shroud. It was also stated that it was usually placed off-center, left or right at the leading edge of the shroud (farthest away from the engine). More often than not I have seen it placed off-center to the right (If you are at the front of your car facing the shroud). Hope this helps.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 11:53:46 PM »
Below is the tune-up sticker placement on my 14K survivor with A/C.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:00:32 AM »
Steve, was this always the case? In addition, did it matter if the car was built in the Norwood plant or the Van Nuys plant? In a previous discussion there were no clear cut answers. Please shed some light on the topic. Thanks

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 12:23:11 AM »
Thats exactly where mine was placed 69 norwood  04c
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:55:29 AM »
Here is another original tuneup sticker...Point is, I don't think there are any clear cut answers. But...if anyone should know it would be Steve. He has seen more survivors than most of us put together. :)

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 01:49:30 AM »
Marty I thought your car had been restored. If not could you tell me what radiator tag you have on your car?
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 02:04:05 AM »
Dan...this isn't my car. It belongs to a friend. His car was restored but the shroud was left untouched. I too am interested in this topic. I tried getting this information before and none of the information was definitive, so I've held off on placing the sticker. However, part of the reason it was inconclusive is because AIM doesn't have these guidelines listed for an A/C car...So, it would have been difficult to control with any sense of accuracy. IMO  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:54:43 AM by IZRSSS »

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 02:24:01 AM »
Marty did you notice I ask about your radiator tag? Can you look at this other car and see what tag is on it?
Daniel  

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 02:33:24 AM »
Sorry Dan...you lost me.  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:09:42 AM by IZRSSS »

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 03:15:27 AM »
Marty PM sent !
Daniel  

IZRSSS

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »
Steve,

Dan mentioned there might be the letters "US" included in factory Tuneup Labels. He also mentioned re-pop labels do not have this. Can you confirm...or can anyone else confirm?

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 12:44:02 AM »
Steve,

Dan mentioned there might be the letters "US" included in factory Tuneup Labels. He also mentioned re-pop labels do not have this. Can you confirm...or can anyone else confirm?

Marty, I'm not sure the reference to the letters"US" The stickers do say "Printed in  U.S.A."
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-