Author Topic: lets reunite another 302 with the original car  (Read 18502 times)

shupee

• View Profile
lets reunite another 302 with the original car
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:40:15 AM »
OK in another post I asked if anyone knew of a 68Z with 477646 vin# and a fellow member told me where to look and for $4.95 I know that the car is in currrently registered in New York State soooo any police from New York that can run the vin??? it would be pretty neat to get it back to the car.

shupee

• View Profile
Re: lets reunite another 302 with the original car
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:53:42 PM »
any ideas---help??? is there a website eith this info that a someone has access to??? The NY DMV website will not work

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
I would think by now all DMVs should be able to do a nation wide search. They probably won't give you any information but you might try the approach of reuniting an original engine with it's long lost car. You might get them to give you the city & state or if they're real nice they might let you give them a letter with your request & they could mail it to the owner. Then see if the owner get back to you. It might not be in the computer if it hasn't been registered in the last 7 years. Good luck...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

luv2sixty9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
Shupee,
I sent you a private message with the current owner info. He indicated that his car has it's original engine. give him a call.
1967 Z/28 Butternut Yellow
1969 Z/28 Rally Green
1969 RS Z/28 Lemans Blue
1969 RS Z/28 Olympic Gold
1969 RS SS Pace Car
2010 Aqua Blue 2SS RS

elcamino72

• View Profile
    • More Information on Camaro Fraud
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:37:06 PM »
Uh! Oh!!!!   Sounds all too familiar to me!!!!

lasereye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:21:15 AM »
I bet somebody didn't sleep well last night.......and it wasn't from too much partying. WOW!

shupee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 02:09:57 AM »
I've called him twice with no return call as of yet. Might not be to interested???? I would be burning the phone and or road up right now if someone had mine. Oh well, once it goes in my car it will stay there.

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:46:51 AM »
 It sure would be interesting to see the stamping and casting codes for this engine you have. Any pictures to share?

I'm sure the owner of the car would be a lot more enthusiastic if the numbers were shown and garnered favourable comments from some of the experts on this site.
Obviously he would be crazy not to get worked up enough to contact you if the general consencious was that your engine carried an original stamping and casting dates to match the VIN number series...

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 07:12:19 AM »
 ;D  Yes please post the photo of the engine stampings...

Maybe the guy will sell the Camaro Z28  ;) and I then could buy the OEM motor from you and reunite the two...

Hey its still new years...  can't I can dream a little... LOL  ;D
SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

shupee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:18:56 PM »
   Here is a picture of my pad stamp

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »
http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#EngineStampLocations

Think the vin portion should be preceded with the numeric character (1) and the engine code stamp with an alpha character denoting the engine plant - both which seem to be missing on your block stamp here...
  The picture isn't all that good and neither are my eyes - but even after enlarging the picture it doesn't make either of these features nor any broach marks come to life here between the overstamping and pitting on the pad. I would say (and since I'm certainly no expert) that I wouldn't consider this a proper stamp.
   Hope others who have seen many more examples and anomolies will for your sake, chime in and add comments to change my mind and school me.
Randy

shupee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 07:06:23 PM »
most restamps I've seen are much much neater and they certainly would not overstamp the assm stamp maybe Kurt or Jerry will take a look???

shupee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
   Jerry M. looked at the stamp @ Camaros.net and said that the assembly stamp looks correct but he does not feel that the vin stamp is. I take his decision as golden so I will not pursue any further contact with the owner of the car itself. In fact this is actually the perfect motor for my car since my car will never be a ####'s car(unless a miracle happens) soooo I'll drop in my car and drive the @#$%^ out of it.
   Thanks for everyones time and help :)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »
Here's a real one,

Jerry

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »
The engine code is good - the V is under the 4.
I think the VIN is probably OK (hard to tell for sure with that angle), but it's missing the leading 1. That's more problematic.
What's the chances they found an non-VIN stamped block and picked a VIN that matched a 68 Z?

Personally, I'd want to see the other block's stamps. That would tell alot. 
But given that they aren't calling you back, just run it. :)
Kurt S
CRG