Author Topic: Correct "elbow" for RH valve cover to air cleaner on a 68 275 hp 327?  (Read 7973 times)

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
Hey guys,

I finally tracked down an original q-jet 68 air cleaner and need the correct passenger side elbow set up for the breather. Anyone have any pics of a survivor as well? Thanks, Dan

jeff68

• View Profile
Ah, a very elusive piece.  I have attached a picture of mine.  The hose has hardened up a little over the years.  It still has the original markings on it.  Many years ago, I remember picking up a spare.  If I can find it I will try to take a few pictures of it for you.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

jeff68

• View Profile
Another picture......

jeff68

• View Profile
...and one more for good measure......

jeff68

• View Profile
Here are a few pictures of my spare.  It has no markings, so I can't be sure if it is a real GM part or not.

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
Jeff68,

Thanks for the great pics. Nobody re-pops these yet?? With all the other hoses out there it semms like this would be somewhere. Anybody know?? I also noticed you have your small vacuum line running to the front of the q-jet. Is that the correct spot? Also it looks like a hard line too? Just curious.

Thanks, Dan

jeff68

• View Profile
I also noticed you have your small vacuum line running to the front of the q-jet. Is that the correct spot? Also it looks like a hard line too?
Yes, the vacuum line to the distributor uses a hard line with a short piece of rubber line on each end (about 2" on the carb side and about 6-8" on the dist. side).  I bought the new hard line from Rick's since the original was in fairly bad shape.
-Jeff

68vert

• View Profile
Re: Correct "elbow" for RH valve cover to air cleaner on a 68 275 hp 327?
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 02:32:04 AM »
I know this is an old post, but Jeff, if you're still out there, I've got a few questions about your set up. Also, obviously anyone else that can help...  I'm building a 327/275 for my '68 RS Vert. Your engine looks awesome, and very correct. Much like the look I'm going after.

Questions: #1  I'm confused on how the rubber hose connects to the valve cover. All of the parts houses show a 90 degree elbow coming off the grommet. Yours appears to be a straight metal piece you push one end into the grommet, and then the other into the bottom of the hose? 

#2 Your photo doesn't show the air cleaner. Does the hose from the right side go into the side of the air cleaner or to a hose from the bottom of the air cleaner base?

#3 Does your air cleaner have the Therm mounted on the snorkel? If so, I'm pretty sure the vacuum hose from it goes to the carb. Can you tell me where??

#4 I see you have the "torque spreaders" on your valve covers. Are those OE??  I like the idea of using them...

Thanks in advance, Brian

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: Correct "elbow" for RH valve cover to air cleaner on a 68 275 hp 327?
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »
Yes, I know this is a super old thread.  My apologies to Brian for not seeing his post over 2 years ago.   :-[
Anyhow, I figured that I would follow-up on the questions asked, since it could be good info for anyone doing a search.

#1:  The hose connects to the valve cover with metal connector.  It only has a slight bend to it - maybe 20 degrees.  You can't really see the bend in the connector in the picture since the whole elbow is pushed away from the carb in my pictures.
#2:  The other end of the hose connects to the plastic PCV filter assembly that is mounted inside the air cleaner housing.
#3:  My air cleaner does not have anything mounted to the snorkle.
#4:  The spreaders are not original, but help keep the valve covers from distorting.

anything