Author Topic: 69 Z28 RS for sale on Ebay.... whats wrong with this car  (Read 31216 times)

Boston14

• View Profile
Re: 69 Z28 RS for sale on Ebay.... whats wrong with this car
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »
sdkar has it right!  I too am here for the cars and to learn.  Honesty is the best policy (even when it hurts).  When we become so close minded that we think we know everything, we are done ....... may as well hang it up.  I spent 20 years fixing these cars for General Motors, another 20 years in "private practice", and still learn something new everyday!  It's amazing what you can learn if you listen and pay attention.   :)

boston14
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

IZRSSS

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2010, 02:12:15 AM »
Its looking more and more like the owner of this car could very well have the last laugh.  With two days left this is certainly some serious $$$! One can only imagine what these guys have locked in as their maximum bids. It should get very interesting once it gets down to the wire. The owners timing could not have been scripted any better either...Xmas gift for dad? This should stimulate at least a little impulse bidding.

At any rate, in today's economy, I think I would have pulled the plug on the reserve a long time ago.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2010, 03:35:33 PM »
Well, it looks like this Camaro hit six figures and the reserve is met.  What seems odd is if you click on bids and then the name of the highest bidder, it says the following:

Bidder Information
Bidder: 7***c( 89) 
Item description: Item Title: Chevrolet : Camaro
Bids on this item: 3
  30-Day Summary
Total bids: 15
Items bid on: 7
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 20%   
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 1

Any idea what the above means?  Ebay must provide this information for a reason.

Anyway, looks like the car is sold.  I can't believe these things are still hitting the six figure mark.  I guess rich people don't know a recession is on.

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »
As 'Mister T" would say..... I pity the foool
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »
Well, it looks like this Camaro hit six figures and the reserve is met.  What seems odd is if you click on bids and then the name of the highest bidder, it says the following:

Bidder Information
Bidder: 7***c( 89)  
Item description: Item Title: Chevrolet : Camaro
Bids on this item: 3
  30-Day Summary
Total bids: 15
Items bid on: 7
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 20%  
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 1

Any idea what the above means?  Ebay must provide this information for a reason.

Anyway, looks like the car is sold.  I can't believe these things are still hitting the six figure mark.  I guess rich people don't know a recession is on.

Means he/she bid 3 times on the camaro but has bid on a total of 7 different things totaling 15 total bids which mathmatically means 20% of his total bids were bid on the camaro. Can be a good tool to see if something looks fishy.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

IZRSSS

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2010, 08:09:11 PM »
As 'Mister T" would say..... I pity the foool
What exactly are you implying Gary...The critics on this site or the fool that is willing to pay 100K for an Endura Bumper ???  Hopefully it is the latter...

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2010, 12:58:35 PM »

Excuse me?  ???

:o I thought it was pretty obvious. As I mentioned earlier the car was restored in Australia. No history on the car or way to certify what it is. Purchased for AUD$ which last year would be about .65 exchange rate. Nothing done to it since the restoration..... I also mentioned in a prior post the last knowledgeable bidder had topped out at 66K, I also implied that the bidding was 'odd with first time buyers... , and I also mentioned in a previous post that the car would need 'more than $10 thousand to correct it.... I also implied a price of $70K for a real nice car with no documentation.....

so I still think my comment is obvious

Merry Christmas one and all
Gary 9T4Z

IZRSSS

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2010, 01:26:23 PM »
Apologies Gary...I feel much better now...Merry Christmas to you and yours! :)

babaron

• 1969 L78 convertble
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 11:13:29 PM »
In case anyone is still interested, the car is back on Ebay due to a fraudulent bidder.  It will be interesting to see if it hits reserve this time.
Enjoy Life!

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 02:19:09 AM »
In case anyone is still interested, the car is back on Ebay due to a fraudulent bidder.  It will be interesting to see if it hits reserve this time.

Here's the new listing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-69-CAMERO-Z28-CONCOURSE-RESTORATION-MATCHING-s-/180605969365?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a0cf463d5

Paul

69 4 Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2011, 03:31:36 AM »
I especially liked the welded on exhaust tips. That must be why is is only a concourse restoration  and not a concours. Still way nicer than my car ever thought about being. But I'm like many of you and actually drive mine occasionally. Speaking of drivng, I got caught in some wet snow a few weeks ago at a local car show/toy run with several local clubs. I felt for the guys with the rat rods. No wiindshields, no wipers, no heaters but they were loving it. The Camaro will have to wait till spring to get cleaned up.

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 04:50:03 AM »
One last comment:
Most reputable vendors will not accept bids from zero feedback/zero bid purchasers.
That said, this vendor has accepted bids on all their offerings from such bidders.
Again, I started the topic only because I believed that the car was no where up to the standard that concours, would imply. (ps my spell checker does not like that word)
I honestly believed that the vendor would benefit from knowing the difference between a $70K car and $100K car.  I was obviously WRONG!
Apparently when the testosterone of bidding starts turning into a pissing contest bidders with little knowledge will be inclined to follow the bumps to stupid numbers.
The bidding on the car was obviously 'shill" .... yes sue me. Looking at the bidding on the vendors other offerings will quickly lead to the same conclusion.
When I said 'I pity the fool" it was the purchaser.
It is a nice $70K all day, but no docs etc. and it went over the top.
Obviously the economy is not at all bad, and apparently the future is bright for restored first gens. Apparently people will pay whatever for whatever as long as the paint is nice.

Happy New Years guys.... 2011 is definitely going to be a good one.
Gary 9T4Z

427-KING

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »
While it appears you are right on the upper bidders at the end, at aorund the 85K price there were many bidders with lots of feedback that appeared to be legit.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 06:27:26 PM »
It appears that a bidder or two who bid on this car likes to buy from this seller...is that what I am to understand from the above? 

I am the bidder with a feedback of 796 and 100% positive feedback.  I bid the car up to $90K and still did not hit the reserve.  There were only three bidders after that.  One of them had a "0" feedback.  The winner had a feedback of "3", obviously did not buy the car, and is now no longer a registered bidder (looks like he was booted by ebay for whatever reason...any guesses why?).  The third bidder who placed a single bid had a feedback of "89" who, if I am reading the ebay info correctly, seems to bid on stuff from this guy a lot.  Of course, I am sure it's all a coincidence. 

I do agree, it is a very very nice car, but concours may be a strong word in describing this car.  I have seen some Camaros that people have paid anywhere from $50K to $70K for and they were not nearly as nice as this one.  The car lacks paperwork and may not be 100% OEM, but it is a darn nice car.  A lot nicer than either of mine are or hope to be. 

IZRSSS

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 06:56:32 PM »
Please shed light on this car because it's obvious you are not the only one who believes the car is worth strong money(aside from the low mi & a Z). I am especially curious because you mentioned there are no docs/papers for the car. At the very least, did the owner supply you with the necessary #'s to decode the car?

In addition...IIRC, didn't the owner pull the reserve somewhere around 80k?

Just curious...I will also understand if you will not fill me in until it sells. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:23:04 PM by IZRSSS »