Author Topic: Is this Cortez Silver?  (Read 4547 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Is this Cortez Silver?
« on: December 18, 2010, 08:57:47 AM »
I am wondering if the experts know if this car was painted Cortez Silver or a different color/shade of Silver.

Thanks

Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

GordonOne

• View Profile
Re: Is this Cortez Silver?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 07:30:27 PM »
 8)it sure looks like cortez silver....i have the same color....i looks different ,most likely due to the lighting.

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:19:12 PM »
Thanks Gordon that is helpfull information. Can you post a picture of yours? I just want to make sure that when they paint it, that it ends up looking the way I want it to look. I know Cortez silver is 41 years old, but I was curious if the color can still be matched or if guys are using something else nowadays to get a nice finish.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:15:53 AM »
I know what you want but keep in mind so many different shades of silver will be called cortez.Even back in 69 they were several different shades of all the colors.Just go look at todays colors and see how many shades differ from one paint code.Just find one you like a paint it and don't worry about it! Any shade of cortez will be perfect!! Good luck.

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 01:39:54 AM »
This is GM's 1969 paint chart. The color you are looking for is; Paint Code 986 {Cortez Silver Metalic}-Lucite 5032L-Delux Code 5032D

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 02:02:01 AM »
The screen cannot provide an accurate representation of auto paint, especially metallics. Many variables affect color potrayal and are based on color theory. If you want Cortez Silver just give the jobber the code and have it mixed. No modern paint is going to be a dead on balls accurate match. It can't simply by the nature of the original lacquer which was uncleared, and modern BC/CC systems and the tints in each. 5 different cars painted from the same batch photographed under different conditions can appear as different colors. Now add to the equation how the base was laid down. These fundamentals apply to any object.

anything