Author Topic: 69Z trim rings - late build car  (Read 16171 times)

enio45

• View Profile
69Z trim rings - late build car
« on: December 17, 2010, 01:28:24 PM »
i have a 10D (late 69) build car - which trim rings were installed at that time?   

I see the 4 clip rings or the small  inside clips as possibilities. 

Any advise is appreciated
Eddie  Montini

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
Re: 69Z trim rings - late build car
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 06:59:30 AM »
Thought the only the 4 clip were GM and the small clips that continue right around the ring were repro..?
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Heck, i dont know either, thats why im asking??  I'm confused as to the correct assembly line issued trim rings!!
Eddie  Montini

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »
i have a 10D (late 69) build car - which trim rings were installed at that time?  

I see the 4 clip rings or the small  inside clips as possibilities.  

Realize its not a Z but have a late 10D SS350 survivor car other than repaint and the trim rings have 4 clips. All orig. trim rings that I have ever seen are 4 clip.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 03:25:13 PM »

I see the 4 clip rings or the small  inside clips as possibilities. 

On later Z's the second design trim rings were used. The transition from 4 clip to the internal(second design ) occurred late june/july time frame. Your car would have come with the internal clip trim rings. 
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 03:54:45 PM »
Thanks for the info steve.....are they avail today new gm or elsewhere?  I need a new set of 4 if you know where to get them.   

I assume the second design your talking about is the 4 small clips rivited toward the center of the height of the trim ring. 
Eddie  Montini

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »
Chick I sent you a PM
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 05:01:08 PM »
Thanks for the info steve.....are they avail today new gm or elsewhere?  I need a new set of 4 if you know where to get them.   

I assume the second design your talking about is the 4 small clips rivited toward the center of the height of the trim ring. 

I believe they are GM part# 9796696. Here is a link to a set on camaros.net  http://www.camaros.net/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=44141&cat=all
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 03:33:17 AM »
I have a unrestored 69Z 08C car that came with 3 trim rings of the outer clip design, and 1 with later style small finger design. Is it possible that they were transitioning to the new design at this point?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 04:55:27 AM »
the view is the late june / july timeframe is the transition timeperiod - however, with transition, nothing is cast in stone.....so very possible or possible a change at the dealer for some reason??
Eddie  Montini

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 02:53:31 AM »
My late 08A car only had two trim rings left when I got it in 1976.  They both have the outer four clips.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 04:22:12 AM »
and my 09C Z car had the 4-clip trim rings when I purchased it in '76..  on the original wheels....?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »
Even if your vehicle came from the factory with original designed clips on the rings, they may have been changed out by the dealer on a regular service visits. As explained to me by a longtime GM parts manager...

The original clip design was the subject of an Federal safety recall for all GM vehicles using them. The original design clips were prone to failure and the rings then would disengaged from the wheel rims on highways at speed, or in turns such as intersections, causing accidents, loss of life and personal property damages. Several owners were killed as they were hit by vehicles in traffic retrieving their rings on the side of the road. 

As a result of the federal mandate, GM quietly redesigned the ring clips to the second more aggressive design and these new clip rings were phased into factory production, but for existing vehicle owners these were implemented as part of an low-key GM safety service recall.  This recall campaign was not well publicized to owners if at all, and relied on dealership service managers processing paperwork as vehicles returned to the dealership for normal servicing, the rings were to be swapped out free of charge. Grody Chevrolet in my town at one point had a small store room on the second floor by the sign tower with new rings on one side arranged neatly in wheel sizes and the already recalled rings on the other side just in a heap on the floor.  Some dealerships were better at these types of recalls then others - still the case today.

While I have my original rings in deep storage I use a set of second design on my rims since they are near impossible to remove without tools, the originals you can pop off with ease.

1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »
in the late '70's, for a short period of time, I ran 8" Corvette wheels and F60 BFG tires on my '69 Z28..  

I purchased new 8" wheels and trim rings from Chevrolet (local dealer in Huntsville, AL).    The trim rings I purchased were/are the 4-clip design, same as the earlier wheels, and same as which were on my Z28!

If these type of trim rings were deemed unsafe for 6", and 7" wide wheels, WHY weren't they also recalled (and NOT sold anew) for the 8" Corvette wheels???   (Note, I still have those 'almost new' Corvette trim rings, in the original boxes they were in when purchased).   Since the fronts scrubbed my inner fenders and actually damaged one of my wheel lip mouldings on my '69 Z28., the 8" wheels came off pretty soon after installing them;  I put the 8" trim rings back in their original boxes and kept them..  I probably have the receipt somewhere for when I purchased them in the late '70's...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 01:12:32 AM »
As I said it was a low key recall with no real enforcement. Factory supplies of the old rings were used up and new stock phased in. Several folks have claimed that their factory ring sets are a mis-mash of first and second design, which I can see happening as rings were just pulled from supply bins.  As far as service and counter parts go, Grody had a large supply but did a high volume of Camaro, Chevelle and Corvettes in the late sixties so "OMG" - "Old Man Grody" liked to do the right thing and participated in the recall actively swapping rings. I recall my Uncle who was parts manager had one new ring on display at the counter for a long time.

As for other dealerships, rings already out in the natural world were not recalled, but were expected to be exchanged with new stock dealerships ordered as part of the exchange campaign but again not required by GM. The stack of exchanged rings was upstairs for years so I don't think GM expected them to be returned for scrapping. To be noted that the reduced inventory of new design rings up there also was there for a long time after the recall was long forgotten. The set you bought could have been on the rack at your dealership for years already by the time you purchased them.  I still have the original boxes my second design rings came in and they are dated 1971, but I purchased the rings in 1982. With such a low turnover item such as these rings, it is believable that they all had a very long shelf life until GM stopped producing them and the supplies dried up.

I have bought three other sets since 1982 for other peoples projects, and one as a gift and all but one set have been GM NOS in the same or similar boxes as mine. The third set I picked up used on eBay for cheap without boxes. All three sets were second design. 
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator