Author Topic: Battery draining issue  (Read 14495 times)

nlpirr

• View Profile
Battery draining issue
« on: March 13, 2006, 10:33:29 PM »
Anyone, please help with my '69 camaro.

Okay, I had a short in the aftermarket radio and I thought it was constantly draining my battery. My mechanic said the alternator was shot and replaced it. Then the batteyr simply wore down andIi replaced it based on the mechanic's testing it and it not holding a charge. Two days later I go to fire up the car and it barely will turn over. After 2-3 attempts, not a single spark until I jump the car.

Any help in finding what can be draining my battery in the -69 camaro would be a great help. Any procedure I can perform to narrow down the issue. Mechanic is has too mcuh on his late to actually spend time with my car. I'm tempted to broing it to a camaro only shop in Dallas area that charges 60  bucks an hour, but the pockets are wearing thin this month.

So the alternator and battery was replaced (internal volt) and after the car sits for a day or two the battery is drained?

thanks for the support ! 

Nick p.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Battery draining issue
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 10:51:20 PM »
One place I would start would be to check the dc amp flow with the battery charged and eveything turned off.  Use a multi meter and measure dc amp from the positive terminal to ground.  Although there is dc voltage from positive to negative, there shouldn't be any current draw unless something is "on", i.e. if nothing is drawing down the battery, current flow should be 0. 

If something is drawing the battery down, amount of dc amp might hlep isolate what it might be. 

If there is current flowing, you might also consider pulling the fuses in the fuse block one at a time and see if a particular fuse / circuit is the culprit.  If the problem is isolated in one electrical circuit, pulling the fuse for that circuit should stop the current flow.  Then you would at least have further information as to which circuit in the car's electrical system is problematic.  You would have to further isolate components within the circuit to find the exact location(s) of the problem.

By the way, any mechanic who:
  1.  charges you for a new alternator
  2.  charges you for a new battery
  3.  doesn't fix the problem
  4.  has the audacity to tell you he doesn't have time to work on your car

doesn't have a clue in the first place as to what is wrong or what he is doing.  He is simply guessing at your expense.  He is also looking for an excuse not to work on your car without coming out and telling you that he shouldn't work on your car because he doesn't have a clue.  Definitely find someone who has better skills and business ethics. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:58:07 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 05:56:59 PM »
This is awesome help. Thanks you so much. I was in a pissy mood all day until I read this,
thinking the wire issue would be an everyday mightmare.

Now I have a place to start !

Again, thanks a ton

Nick P.

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 07:32:12 PM »
It appearse the issue was my "head space and timing: x-military guys will know what I mean.

anyhow , I was cranking the ignition key too far back and taking the key out. this , it seems, was keeping the generator light on (barly dimm to see unless dark) and draining the battery after a day or so.

I found this by accident actually.

thanks for the help

NP

67camarorsss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 08:52:50 PM »
It appearse the issue was my "head space and timing: x-military guys will know what I mean.

anyhow , I was cranking the ignition key too far back and taking the key out. this , it seems, was keeping the generator light on (barly dimm to see unless dark) and draining the battery after a day or so.

I found this by accident actually.

thanks for the help

NP

"Head space and timing". I haven't heard that one in over 30 years when I last played with Ma duece.... ;D
- 1967 RS/SS 396/TH400 (loaded clone restification)
- 1998 Z28 LS1/M6 (daily driver)
- 2002 Z28 LS1/4L60E (12 sec toy/bookend to the 67)

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 11:09:28 PM »
Very nice...yea..I had the unique abality to have 120 smooth-bore by the name of Abrams under me at all time in Iraq..

I  like my Camaro better !

But Camaro's dont destroy T-72's like that Abrams did..thats for sure !

Nick P.

Hugger Orange 69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 12:00:32 AM »
 ???I was interested to read this thread because I have been experiencing the battery drain problem on my 69 Camaro for the last five years and have not been able to correct it.  Yesterday, I tried the suggested test.  I disconnected the neg cable and took a reading from the pos battery post to a chassis grnd.  It showed amps draining, so I moved to the fuse panel to start removing one fuse at a time to isolate the circuit with the problem.  I never got to the fuses though.  As soon as the driver's door was opened the meter went to zero.  I guess that means that the door switch is faulty, so I am going to replace it.  Very good suggestion!  Thanks!

I have an additional electrical problem that has just cropped up, I'll post it outside this thread.