CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 02:56:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
104501 Posts in 12235 Topics by 4716 Members
Latest Member: Hgtech
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Future First Gen Values
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Print
Author Topic: Future First Gen Values  (Read 9769 times)
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 03:26:10 PM »

And read C&D's take on it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q2/how_automakers_will_meet_2016_cafe_standards-feature

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
Planning 2016 Sentimental Tour, AACA (and restoring a 40 Buick Special for it)
AACA Southeastern Division Spring Meet Chair
"Charlotte AutoFair, presented by the Hornets Nest Region, AACA, is the largest and greatest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast USA."
IZRSSS
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »

Thanks for the links guys!

On the plus side: CAFE by Manufacture Targets;
  • 35 - 41% Improved Fuel Economy
  • Expected Cost vs Savings - Cost; <1K, Fuel savings over the life of the vehicle; 4K
  • New Muscle Cars won't be built (I think)
  • Our cars will be much more sought after
  • We will have a fuel efficient car to trash while our rides aren't Smiley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:23:15 PM by IZRSSS » Logged
9T4Z

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »

'Muscle cars will still be built'.   Your just going to have to wrap your mind around how a 4 cylinder direct injected twin boosted engine figures into the picture.  Less mass, better fuel efficiency and great torque.  Mustang will have em for sure in the replacement to the V6, we just got to accept that the definition will require some 'hard swallowing'. OH and I have no doubt these new set-ups will be very quick.

Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS
IZRSSS
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »

Sure hope you're correct but did you read the sixth paragraph down on Phillip's link? Please explain how these cars are going to achieve muscle car status given these restrictions? Perhaps these future MC will be an example of the cars Tom so eloquently referred to as nothing more than Rice Rockets and Fart Pipes.

Sorry Tom, couldn't resist. You nailed it...foreign jobbers.  Undecided
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:31:45 PM by IZRSSS » Logged
Gramps69Z

69 X33 D80

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »

Sure hope you're correct but did you read the sixth paragraph down on Phillip's link? Please explain how these cars are going to achieve muscle car status given these restrictions?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but a believe it's going to be called a "gas guzzler tax" paid by the owner.

Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire     1.1  to go

I'm sick and tired of mismanagement and disappointment. 
I'm a COWBOYS fan.
IZRSSS
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »

Excellent question John. It will be interesting to see if automakers can use this as a loop-hole.
Gramps69Z

69 X33 D80

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »

I been holding out for the new 5th gen. Z and talk now on the 5th gen. boards it's in the $50,000 plus range and it may not even be a Z, but a different name.  Looks like I'm keeping the CTS as my primary driver. 

Captain John Wykoff

I'm a COWBOYS fan.
427-KING

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »

I read that the new camaro outsold the ford mustang for the first time ever. 
68Zproject

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 06:21:21 PM »

I'd be interested in JOHN Z's thoughts on how this gov't intervention with all their BS hurt Detroit and the big 3.

68Z28
IZRSSS
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »

I been holding out for the new 5th gen. Z and talk now on the 5th gen. boards it's in the $50,000 plus range and it may not even be a Z, but a different name.  Looks like I'm keeping the CTS as my primary driver. 
Sure hope the car gets built and the name isn't changed. I think that would be a huge mistake. At any rate, now is the time to buy these cars before the Feds get a hold of them. 50K puts it right up there with the F-GT500. Do you know what the projected HP is?

Thanks John
IZRSSS
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »

My God what a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Time to consider a second mortgage.........
Dusk_Blue_Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to drive one. But isn't the new Z getting away from the essence of the original Z? Thought they were going back to the first gen well. Insane HP figures wasn't what it was about.

Seems like we are going off topic here (which necessarily a bad thing). I'd really like to get both JohnZ and William takes on future values. I could listen to those two all day.

1969 X77 01B 51 51 flat hood
Gramps69Z

69 X33 D80

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to drive one. But isn't the new Z getting away from the essence of the original Z? Thought they were going back to the first gen well. Insane HP figures wasn't what it was about.

Seems like we are going off topic here (which necessarily a bad thing). I'd really like to get both JohnZ and William takes on future values. I could listen to those two all day.

True, I did not mean to hijack this thread.  Should have started a new one.
If a mod could move my posts or if needed delete them.
I get carried away sometimes.

Captain John Wykoff

I'm a COWBOYS fan.
IZRSSS
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »

John, I see nothing that suggest your posts are off topic. Quite the contrary. The whole idea here is gain insight into the future of our prized positions. What better way to insure the preservation of these classics than continued competition from the big 3 automakers and their take offs from what started it all. Thanks for sharing!
IZRSSS
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »

The link below shows how significant the development of the 1st gen Z was. The information indicates with racing add-ons its HP was in excess of 400. My thought is that the new Z has to be developed with the same ground breaking forsight in mind to set it apart (as it did back then) from the competition. The excitement for me is one can only imagine what GM has instore for the Big Block SS counterparts. Again...just my opinion, but I think all of this plays into how our cars are perceived into the future, and can only lead to their longevity.

http://camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#Z28
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: