Author Topic: Horn on my 67 stopped working  (Read 8132 times)

my124677n

• View Profile
Horn on my 67 stopped working
« on: December 12, 2010, 07:03:30 PM »
I'm no electrician, so needed help in diagnosing why my horn stopped working.  The relay clicks when I hit the horn button on the steering wheel, so that's good.  I believe only one of the two horns were working previously and then the one horn started working intermitantly.  Would it be the relay, or maybe need two new horns?

Boston14

• View Profile
Re: Horn on my 67 stopped working
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:55:52 PM »
Check for power (12V+) at the dark green wire at the horns while depressing the horn button.  If you have power there, make sure the horns are grounded.  If they don't work, they have become defective.  If you have no power there, and the relay is clicking, check for power at the terminal of the relay that the dark green wire is attached.  If you have no power at that terminal, the relay is bad.  If you have power there, the wiring between the relay and horns is bad.

boston14
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »
In addition to the above, get some lubricant to the inside of the horns. Occasionally the diaphrams will free up. If they are badly corroded the sound quality will be poor or will produce no sound at all. They are date coded and can be rebuilt if originality is of value to you.

my124677n

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:33:41 PM »
thanks guys. I'll work on it tonight....and let you know.

my124677n

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 04:48:50 AM »
Used the 12 volt tester and power is going to the horns.  Went and sprayed a bunch of WD-40 into the horns and let sit overnight.  Re-installed tonight and got about 3 seconds of sound from one of them .  Oh well, at least it's not the dreaded relay.  Time to buy a pair of horns.  Thanks for the help.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 07:06:46 PM »
If your horns are original to the car you can have them rebuilt. He did a great job on mine.

http://www.classiccarhorns.com/faq.html
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:53:32 AM »
Don't worry, the govt just extended unemployment benefits for your horn. 

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 01:44:51 AM »
Bang on em with a stick...Not kidding.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 03:15:20 AM »
If your horns are original to the car you can have them rebuilt. He did a great job on mine.

http://www.classiccarhorns.com/faq.html

Gary does great work...highly recommend.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

my124677n

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:59:10 AM »
I bought a pair of Delco hi/lo horns used off of e-bay for $50.  Sound great.  Kept the originals in a box to include with purchase if I ever sell. 

cadmanof50s

• Vic Brincat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 03:01:29 AM »
Before giving up on your original horns...spraying WD40 into the mouth of the horn won't do anything. You need to remove the pitch adjusting screw, spray WD-40 directly into the mechanism that makes the sound through the tiny opening. Reinstall the screw just tight enough until you feel it making contact. You may then have to adjust for the  correct pitch.

This procedure works about 80% of the time. Can't hurt to try before you give up on them.

Vic
Vic Brincat
1968 Camaro RS Convertible - 327

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 03:16:31 AM »
Before giving up on your original horns...spraying WD40 into the mouth of the horn won't do anything. You need to remove the pitch adjusting screw, spray WD-40 directly into the mechanism that makes the sound through the tiny opening. Reinstall the screw just tight enough until you feel it making contact. You may then have to adjust for the  correct pitch.

This procedure works about 80% of the time. Can't hurt to try before you give up on them.

Vic

It's worked for me without removing the screw, but the lube requires assistance to the center of the conical spiral.