Author Topic: What is the 1/2-inch hole in floor/trunk pan above differential?  (Read 4450 times)

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
What is the 1/2-inch hole in floor/trunk pan above differential?
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:16:01 PM »
My friend has a 1969 Camaro convertible and I have a 1968 Camaro convertible.  Both of us have a 1/2-inch diameter hole in the center of the floor/trunk pan immediately above the differential and towards the rear of the pinion bumper. 

What is the hole for and does it get a rubber or plastic body plug?  Is this hole only on convertibles...I did not see one on a coupe ???  Does anybody have a GM part number for the plug?
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
Re: What is the 1/2-inch hole in floor/trunk pan above differential?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 11:54:37 PM »
Not sure what the hole is for, but if you need a 1/2" blanking grommet/plug, then www.amkproducts.com have them as part number B-10671. qty 6 for $3.
Doesn't appear to have a GM # or application associated with it, but the look is very similar to the 3/4" GM 4805844 rubber body plug that they also have as B-10669.
See page 154 of their 2010 cat.  :)
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »
Does it resemble the hole in this thread? I never saw one in any of the cars I've had. It's not factory. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1398541

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 07:01:23 AM »
he holes in my 68 convertible and my friend's 69 convertible are in the same vicinity as the one pictured in the camaros.net thread link posted by Sauron327; however, the hole in that thread had a keyhole notch on one side.  The holes in our two cars are 1/2-inch diameter round without a keyhole.  Attached is a picture of the hole from my car.

Both cars have original pans and the holes appear to be factory...there's no indication of a punch or drill being used.  Besides, how come a March-build 1968 and an April-build 1969 convertible would have identical holes in identical locations in original pans?  They have to be factory holes.  I'm wondering if the hole has something to do with convertibles having hydraulic pumps that could leak or rear rain gutters that direct water into the quarters?
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

anything