Author Topic: What is a COPO 427 block worth  (Read 9017 times)

mikes 67

• View Profile
What is a COPO 427 block worth
« on: December 10, 2010, 12:44:44 PM »
  I have a COPO 427 block I want to sell to the cars owner,the block is in great shape, bored 30 over but fully useable. all stamps are there and easy to read.

What is this worth to the cars owner?

Or maybe the better question is, how much will the original block raise the value of the car?

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is a COPO 427 block worth
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 02:08:50 PM »
Original engines increase the value of the car about 33%.

Jerry

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »
A fair deal on that block for both parties is 5K ... not a steal . No one would pay 5k for it but the owner of the car it goes to and maybe not even then.It is a premium to the buyer but not a crazy one. Anything above that is getting into serious blue sky. But it is your call.

I did not want to comment because I helped put you in touch with Wayne and was hoping others would pitch in but I do have COPO and actually had to make a deal for my original BE rear end and original M22 from the party who had it. So I have been down this road before . So for what it is worth that is my opinion . Otherwise it is a 2000 block even with a COPO stamp on it .

A legit LS6 Chevelle 454 block for a BIN of $3,375.00  no takers .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Chevelle-512-LS6-454-block-engine-T0501CRR-no-Vin-/110621594840?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c18f94d8

There are two other 512 blocks on ebay with BIN of $3,950.00 and $2,750.00 but they are people just hoping that 512 casting will get someone excited. No takers there either.
1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 02:10:58 PM »
The only thing that I will add is this.  Most of the 427 cars out there today have restamped non-original engines.  Most expired from drag racing and abuse at the track and on the street.  I know, I was there back in the day. 

If you can mate the real OEM block with the car, that is huge.  And it will increase the value of the car more than $5K.  That is from an appraiser's point of view.  I know that many in the hobby have tried to put a spin on the 427 cars that not having the original engine does not effect the value of the vehicle.  Bunk!  Comments like that are a slap in the fact for those who do own an original engine copo car.

People have paid $50K for blown up ZL1 blocks that are original to the car.  Then we had to do a ton of aluminum repair work to make them whole again but this $50K number is pretty consistant with blown up orginal ZL1 blocks.  We have repaired and built a bunch of ZL1 engines for clients all over the country and had great results.....and a happy ending to the owner.

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 02:16:24 PM »
Oh, and I should add this.  The 1967 Z28 D/Stocker that I campaign, the original paperwork folder was available to me once I owned the car and was doing the resto.  Many would think I'm nuts but I had to pay $15K CASH for the paperwork.  There were only 602 cars built, and I had many a sleepless night thinking about if I should do that transaction.  I did pull the trigger.  Looking back, I would have done it again and it was a very smart move on my part.

With the local history on my '67 Z28 Stock Eliminator car.........and now having great pedigree race history with a certified NHRA national record, this will all enhance the value of this vehicle.

Jerry

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 05:54:54 PM »
For sure the increased value is realized with the complete orig motor.  You also have to factor in the cost of getting the orig block (and in this case not the whole motor - but block only) back to the condition of what was orig to the car....so in addition to getting the block ready for assembly all the machine work has to be done, correct heads, crank, rods, piston and outside stuff as well to make it 100% correct to get that value Jerry was talking about.  So there are cost that have to be taken into consideration - and the fact is -  if the block is usable in the first place which has to be checked out.   We know the cost of getting the correct dated parts for these cars - no negliable by no standards. 

I do think paperwork is another level of value - possible more important than the block in my opinion. 

I think Van is about right in the range on the fair value - and by the way, there is only one person that would be interested in purchasing that for the value it brings.....

Hope this helps and you car guys work out a fair deal  - mike we applaud you for your efforts in getting this to the rightful owner.     
Eddie  Montini

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 08:48:33 PM »
More food for thought.  We do a lot of engines.  Only thing that will be needed to make sure the block is good is either pressure testing and hot tanking, about $150 and what pistons will be needed.  Line bore check too, about $65.  Any deal would have to be based around how the block checks out.

I'm sure that the other parts on the existing engine are date matched to the car.  And the heads might be original.  I think that Ben just did a blue printed short block when he prepped the car for Indy back in '69.

If the car was based on a $140K value in today's market, the OEM block will add more than $40K to the value of the car.  Add to that the fact that Ben Wenzel is a legendary NHRA sportsman racer who is very well known for over 45 years.  That is worth something too.  It all comes into play. 

Jerry   

mikes 67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »
  Wayne and I have made a deal.     The block will be back with the car after the first of the year.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 02:38:07 PM »
Good news Mike.  I will also call Ben Wenzel too and give him the good news.  Ask Wayne if he can send me photos of his paperwork on that car.  We had talked about it on the phone.

Jerry

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
Great news.........
Eddie  Montini

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »
Great news.........

We do good work :) Stay out of the way and just put two guys together to work out the deal. Results another COPO with its original born with engine... I think I just devalued mine ::)
1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28