Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

68 396 L34 Q-jet vacuum to AIR valve

(1/3) > >>

My68SS:
Hi all,
It's hard to tell looking at the 68 AIM, but it appears that the long vacuum pipe on the RH side of the carby, behind the choke pull-off, is the connection point for the AIR valve vacuum, as per below pic [not my pic/carby - wish it was!!  :)]
Can someone confirm for me?

If so, then this would have been rubber capped off for non-AIR vehicles?
TIA

bertfam:
I believe (and John will correct me if I'm wrong), that any CCS carb (non-A.I.R.) wouldn't even have that vacuum fitting. However, since all big blocks in 1968 came with A.I.R., the correct carb for your L34/M40 (7028218-EH) would have that fitting and it would have been used.

Ed

Boston14:
On my 1969 L48 Automatic (M38) car, carb number 7029202 DH, there is no A.I.R. system, the Therm ac system in the air cleaner uses this port.  1969 L48 standard transmissions have no Therm ac system but they do have A.I R. that uses that port.   I am not sure about 1968s'.

boston14

My68SS:
Hi Ed/Boston,
Yes, as Boston14 notes, it's my understanding that autos were not fitted with AIR.

bertfam:

--- Quote ---Yes, as Boston14 notes, it's my understanding that autos were not fitted with AIR.
--- End quote ---

No, as per the 1967-1969 Camaro Emission Systems report:

--- Quote ---In 1968 and 1969, the California and federal emissions requirements were the same and all cars were built to the same 50-state standard. The AIR system was installed on all L6 cars with manual transmissions, all small blocks with manual transmissions, and all Camaros with big blocks. (Chevelles and full-size cars with the 396/325hp engine and TH400 transmission were the only 68-69 Chevrolet big block cars that did not have smog pumps.) Only the automatic L6 and automatic small block Camaros did not have smog pumps, instead they had the simpler Controlled Combustion System. Generally speaking, an automatic car required less aggressive emission control than a manual transmission car because the engine load (and carburetor fuel metering consistency) was more stable and predictable.
--- End quote ---

Thus, the only engines NOT equipped with A.I.R. were the L6 with automatic transmission, and small blocks with automatic transmission. All other Camaros received the A.I.R. system. Boston14 has the 350 with automatic, so he had the CCS system.

Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page