Author Topic: Off-The-Wall ?  (Read 4985 times)

IZRSSS

Off-The-Wall ?
« on: December 05, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »
A question for a friend  :-X...

Lets say...there was a person (names concealed to protect the innocent, in some cases not so innocent) who owned a car & gave another person (for a lack of better terms) temporary custody of this car.  Lets then say that this second person helped himself/herself to a few items of the car without the owners knowledge. Lets also say that the owner is now deceased.

Would a new owner have any recourse?

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: Off-The-Wall ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 02:28:29 AM »
If the owner is deceased, then how is it possible to buy the car from them?  Is the person with "temporary custody" selling the car?  Are they really the legal owner of the car?  Anyhow, I say the answer to the question is "No".  The car would be sold to the new owner as-is.

68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 03:30:49 AM »
I'd think if the original owner gave custody to another person the original owner should have had a written agreement or a witness to confirm he's giving it away for how ever long it was to be temporary other wise the 2nd person would become the new owner after a period of time and you can't steal parts from yourself can you? Ever heard of a mechanics lean? I agree with jeff68 "the car is sold as is"

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:30:42 AM »
The estate would have recourse. But a new owner wouldn't have standing.
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »
This boob actually admitted (to the new owner) h/s took the parts. Stating...how do I know their correct, I removed them myself & I have the part #'s to prove they came from that car.

Thanks Kurt...that makes the most sense. Maybe the new owner should just be happy h/s has a shot at getting these parts back. Not matter how much it hurts >:(!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:29:09 AM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 02:58:55 PM »
If the owner is deceased, then how is it possible to buy the car from them?  Is the person with "temporary custody" selling the car?  Are they really the legal owner of the car?  Anyhow, I say the answer to the question is "No".  The car would be sold to the new owner as-is.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:46:18 PM by IZRSSS »

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »
At best how can you prove the parts were stolen? The original owner can't testify,the other would not be expected to confess, the car was legally with that person. Unless you are speaking of parts with patrial vins (engine, trans) would be difficult to prove they were even from the same car.

How to buy from the dead guy is easy. Deal with the executor, or administrator of the estate.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 03:17:49 PM »
You're right Tom...parts w/o partial VIN's are hard to prove.

As stated...the new owner should be happy he has a shot at getting them back.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:56:47 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 07:53:38 PM »
I'd think if the original owner gave custody to another person the original owner should have had a written agreement or a witness to confirm he's giving it away for how ever long it was to be temporary other wise the 2nd person would become the new owner after a period of time and you can't steal parts from yourself can you? Ever heard of a mechanics lean? I agree with jeff68 "the car is sold as is"

I don't really know how to respond to this comment...what's your point?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 11:25:37 PM »
Hi Marty,

This car wasn't blue, was it?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 11:39:38 PM »