Author Topic: Distributor gear  (Read 6181 times)

mopar346

• View Profile
Distributor gear
« on: December 04, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »
I occurred to me in some reading that I may need to change myt distributor gear for the roller came. Any one know?

Combo:

93-96 4 bolt roller block 350 .030 over
comp Xtreme energy roller cam and factory style lifters
89 truck distributor and gear (factory GM)
Factory TBI intake at first and then switched to the 116 intake (restrict it for a little bit on purpose)

Thanks in advance, Kevin

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Distributor gear
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:27:11 PM »
If your Comp Cam has a pressed-on iron gear, you can use the ordinary distributor gear; if it doesn't, you need the GM "melonized" distributor gear.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 11:27:06 PM »
Thanks, I'll find out from my builder Monday.

rodent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:21:47 AM »
Billets I believe are usually gold between the lobes?

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:33:19 AM »
It is a store stock XR264HR, can I see the difference with it assembled. Its still on the stand without the intake. I know I can see the gear through the hole, is there a visual difference and it so what am I looking for, not sure if I can see the shaft between the lobes while installed.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »
It is a store stock XR264HR, can I see the difference with it assembled. Its still on the stand without the intake. I know I can see the gear through the hole, is there a visual difference and it so what am I looking for, not sure if I can see the shaft between the lobes while installed.

Call Comp and they can tell you by the number whether or not it has the (extra-cost) pressed-on iron gear.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 08:38:09 AM »
An iron gear will generally be black as opposed to the rest of the cam. It stands out like a sore thumb.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 01:05:18 AM »
Well, when I pulled the old motor it was a roller motor. The cam gear was worn properly and the distributor gear looked perfect. I installed it and it has been running for several weeks. I have since found out that the distributor is out of a 95ish Caprice (it has a bigger base where it mates with the intake). I ordered my chip today and will be changing to the 116 intake which will require a distributor change. I have been told that I want a 92 Z/28 distributor because it has the right base and is for a roller motor. I ask for receommendations in a thread a few days ago and got no input, so I have to go with the info I have. Does anyone have any other input?

anything