Author Topic: correct heater hose routing  (Read 17141 times)

rskev

• View Profile
correct heater hose routing
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »
Hello all! Just finishing up replacing the heater core on my 68' RS 327 with a/c. I wanted to know if anyone had pics or info on how to properly route the heater hoses from the water pump to the heater core. Not sure what is "correct". Thanks to anyone with advise!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: correct heater hose routing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »
Photo below isn't mine, but it shows the correct routing; the 5/8" hose goes from the intake manifold fitting to the lower (inlet) nipple on the heater core, and the 3/4" hose goes from the upper (outlet) nipple on the heater core to the water pump. Both are clamped to the inner fender.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

rskev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 08:06:01 PM »
Thanks for the picture, but my car has a/c so the routing is a little different. I'm told that the hoses cross over each other after the fender mounting clip as they head towards the heater core. Just doesn't seem or look right to me.  Wanted to see if anyone knew if this is actually correct, or have knowledge on what is. Thanks again! 

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »
See UPC C60, Sheet D5 in the '68 AIM.

Paul

rskev

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 02:37:25 AM »
Thanks Paul! I did see that illustration. It just doesnt look right, but if it's in the AIM it must be correct....right?

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 02:52:14 AM »
Same hose and clamps i am trying to get a picture of on originality post.
rskev,
Do you have a picture of the clamps that hold the AC lines to the inner-fender skirt just above the heater hose clamp?
Would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Bob

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 03:09:05 AM »
This is a 1969 396 does this help ?   

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 04:14:11 AM »
Thanks Mark, but 67 and 68 are different because of your LH compressor location and heater cut-off switch.
Appreciate the picture, nice ride.
Bob
This is a 1969 396 does this help ?   

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 04:19:29 AM »
Not sure about the '68 but here's a '69 a/c car...and they do cross over as per AIM.

rskev

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 02:17:19 PM »
Thanks, but 69's are quite a bit different, Including how the hoses run to the heater core. Bob, I'll take a look at my a/c lines, but I don't think I have a clamp holding them to the inner fender. I'll shoot you a picture if I have it. If I don't have one, I guess thats one more thing I need to hunt down.

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 03:21:58 PM »
Photo below isn't mine, but it shows the correct routing; the 5/8" hose goes from the intake manifold fitting to the lower (inlet) nipple on the heater core, and the 3/4" hose goes from the upper (outlet) nipple on the heater core to the water pump. Both are clamped to the inner fender.

What is the decal on the driver's side inner fender for?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 08:22:33 PM »
What is the decal on the driver's side inner fender for?

That's the Canadian oil change recommendation label - it only went on cars shipped to Canada, and on that car, it's on the wrong side; it went on the passenger side inner fender, just above the heater hose clamp.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 06:18:25 PM »
rskev,

My 68 327 (not RS) has original a/c.  The heater hoses do cross over like D5 shows in the 68 AIM.  So, I think Paul (and the AIM) is steering you right.
When you use the hose clip to the compressor, they pretty much have to go that way.  You are right, it does look a little "twisted", but I assume that's to keep the belt and hoses apart.
Also, the AIM does not show an a/c hose clip for the inner fender on D6.  Mine does not have one and there is no second hole on mine for one to clip to.  If you guys find there is supposed to be one, let me know!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

rskev

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 06:41:35 PM »
Lakeholme, I realize how the two heater hoses come off of the water pump & manifold need to travel through the a/c compressor guide loop as they head towards the pass side inner fender. All that looks cool, it's after they cruise through the clip that holds them to the inner fender is what I'm having issues with. After the clip the hoses are supposed to "twist" as they head towards the heater cores tubes.The outer hose in the clip heads towards the lower port and the inner hose heads for the upper one. It's what is in the AIM, just doesn't seem right. Is the AIM always truly "correct"? Also kinda stumped on this a/c inner fender clip. Mine doesn't have one, nor is there any evidence that one ever was there. I have all the original sheetmetal too!   

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 07:24:33 PM »
Is the AIM always truly "correct"? Also kinda stumped on this a/c inner fender clip. Mine doesn't have one, nor is there any evidence that one ever was there. I have all the original sheetmetal too!  

The heater hose routing shown on sheet D5 and D6 is correct. The hole for the hose clamp was pierced in every inner fender at the stamping plant.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything