Author Topic: Site help - with Javascript  (Read 7378 times)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Site help - with Javascript
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:09:46 PM »
I redid the decode page so that it clearer and has more examples.
I used some javascript to map out some pictures (to make sections of the pictures clickable). Everything works fine except for one table at the bottom of the page is showing up mostly blank in IE8 (fine in FF and IE9). Disable the javascript and it works fine.
Anyone have the knowledge to be able to help troubleshoot this?

Thanks!!
Kurt S
CRG

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: Site help - with Javascript
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 02:59:39 AM »
Is the page on line? It's been a while but I have some javascript experience, and I have also hand coded a few tables over the years, and written code to generate pages from raw data.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 05:03:40 AM »
Tom,
It's http://www.camaros.org/Z-numbers-java.shtml
The POP option field is mostly blank - only some of the last lines show for me. I can get the rest of the table to appear by clicking on the bottom of the table with my mouse. Refresh and it goes away again. Strange.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm not convinced it isn't an IE8 problem, but that doesn't fix it. Firebug isn't much help since the problem isn't appearing in Firefox.
Thanks!

Any comments on the new page are also welcome. I broke apart the 69 stripe table and lots of other changes to try to make the info clearer. What can be improved to make it even clearer?
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 11:19:29 AM »
Under Numbers Decode at the top of the page...the Cowl Tag Decoder click feature isn't functioning properly.

For us Baby Boomers who are always searching for our bifocals the Expand Option is a huge plus!  The only thing you might add are legible stamps. For example: in the Powerglide & TH350 Locations.

Great addition Kurt!!!

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »
Under Numbers Decode at the top of the page...the Cowl Tag Decoder click feature isn't functioning properly.
It works fine for me on both computers and both browsers. I click and it asks if I want to open or save the file. What's not working?

For us Baby Boomers who are always searching for our bifocals the Expand Option is a huge plus!  The only thing you might add are legible stamps. For example: in the Powerglide & TH350 Locations.
The size option is built into your browser. Hit [control]+ and the font and pictures size will increase, [control]- to decrease it.

Those trans stamps are on a different page. :)
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 04:09:14 PM »
My bad...unfamiliar with Zip Format and Windows File Association Page.

I had no problem expanding the pics. Just thought it would be nice if once the pics were enlarged you could read the stamp...no biggy. As you mentioned the stamps are on another page.

JL8Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
Did you find the problem, it looks ok to me right now using IE6?
1969 Z28 JL8 4 wheel disc brakes, #'s match - being restored

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 12:51:26 AM »
Nope, the problem is still there with IE8. And so far, only IE8.
Kurt S
CRG

JL8Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 02:34:02 AM »
Yeah, I see what you're talking about when using IE8.  I wonder if it's something to do with the fact that the lines with the long underscore is actually the widest part of the table being dsiplayed.  The text below the last underscore line acts like normal.  I'm wondering if IE8 is misjudging the width needed.  Have you tried shortening those underscore lines to be about the same width as the longest line of words?  I'm just starting to work with web based stuff so I don't the formatting well enough yet.  But there do seem to be some issues with IE8 from what I've been reading.
1969 Z28 JL8 4 wheel disc brakes, #'s match - being restored

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »
Jeff,
I played with those lines. I could get it to appear depending on the width of the 1st and 2nd line (but not the 3rd).
http://www.camaros.org/Z-numbers-java1.shtml#java displays.
http://www.camaros.org/Z-numbers-java2.shtml#java doesn't. It has a slightly longer line.

But then I got it to display by minor changes above the table. But then it wouldn't. Hmmm.
I finally got http://www.camaros.org/Z-numbers-java.shtml#java to work and http://www.camaros.org/Z-numbers-java0.shtml#java doesn't work. (edit: most of the time, both files don't always display consistently.) They are *exactly* the same file except for the time stamp in the file!!
This is a bigger programming issue than just my little file. I'll see if the jquery people can't address it.

Thanks guys!
Kurt S
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 04:15:05 AM »
I just put the new page on-site. http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml
Several more pics and examples.

I got no help so far from the jquery folks. :(
What I did figure out was the # of characters before the table mattered. If I added enough characters before the table, the text above the table would disappear. So it's not limited to the table.
I think it's good now, but not robust.
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 04:33:45 PM »
Like what you did with the 3 stacked cowl tags & the POP. Nice to key the individual fields/descriptions. Very impressive!

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
Thanks! It was a PITA, but worth it. :)

Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »
I'm not very up on abbreviated PC lingo...but this one I can decode ;D...I bet it was!