Author Topic: dash paint  (Read 4992 times)

crownroyal58

• View Profile
dash paint
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
Does anyone have a ppg paint code for the top of the dash? my local store seems to be a little reluctant to flatten paint.

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: dash paint
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 02:11:52 PM »
What color and year? Paint codes are here: http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/ I mixed paint daily when I had a mixing system. Never heard of a jobber who was reluctant to mix paint. Sounds like a bad business and poorly qualified. A search here of "suede" and similar dash top or interior keywords will provide you with numerous threads pertaining to products and originality. You can closely duplicate the finish without a texture additive simply by under reducing and dry spraying; flattening agent is still required. If you pull a trigger, this is self explanatory. Or just buy the product and end it.

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:45:15 PM »
1969, black interior. tried that web site and gave them the interior code that was listed for bl;ack and it turned out way to glossy. wish i had the skill to do the body and paint, i have restored two vehicles so far and getting them prepped and painted has been a headache each time.
Thanks, Mike

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 11:22:06 PM »
Gave who the interior code, your jobber or TCP Global? All they have to do is pull the tints off the machine and mix it. A blind person with no thumbs can do it. It's not as if they have to match a color. Go to another jobber. Did you find the threads here? There are too many to post but easily found.

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 03:04:11 PM »
Gave my jobber the ditzler code #9317 showed in the autocolorlibrary, and it is too shiney. he may or maynot have made a mistake (not sure) but would this be the correct code for the upper part of the dash?

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »
You can get the flat additive and do it yourself.Ask for the additive!!Most paint stores have people working that know less than zero about paint and even less about old car paint.Most weren't even born until after unleaded gas hit the pumps! I spent quite a bit of time at my paint store helping them understand what and how the paint needs to be.I'd try another store if you have no luck with the one now.Just FYI after 36 years in this business screw ups still happen. Good luck,RSR

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 10:20:49 PM »
PPG DX 265 for lacquer, DX 685 for urethane, texture additive is DX 1999. Get another jobber or do it yourself. Both my jobbers have people ranging in ages from 30's to 50's and neither have a problem mixing paint. It's their job. Shops with their own systems do it every day, I did. There's a thread at TC with results of someone's dash with the dry spraying technique and it looks fine. Sprayed properly with correct flash times one can achieve the results required. It's not magic, just lacquer with no DX1999. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=179582&highlight=dry+spraying

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 09:45:45 PM »
thanks for everything, i will take this info to davis frost paints and see what happens. this is the only ppg people in this area, the next closest handle dupont.
Thanks, Mike

anything