Author Topic: key and wiper button  (Read 4394 times)

phils_crew

key and wiper button
« on: November 25, 2010, 03:50:04 AM »
hey everyone,

i `m newb so just wanted to ask...do all 67 camaro`s have no key lock? i can pull it out even in

the run position,in both my 67`s.and wiper buttons only work after push to wash has been

activated ..lol..thanks in advance..phil ..caution in repling,as i have million questions ..lmao now !!

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: key and wiper button
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »
Not sure what year they changed the ignition, but yes back in the day you could remove the key from the ignition in any position. Eventually by  law the key could only be removed when the key was in the "locked" position. Could be entertaining when it wasn't your car. On some cars you could even start the the motor and drive off if the key had been removed and the ignition wasn't in the locked position.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »
Interesting, my 68 does lock.
When the wiper switch gets worn, it will often still wipe a few swipes when you push for wash. Guess it didn't get as much use.... The Chassis Service Manual tells how to replace it.
Welcome to the forum!   ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

WayneinNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:02:55 PM »
With regards to the wiper switch.
When you push to wash it should wipe a few times while pumping.
If that is the only time it wipes then read on.....
If you are careful you can repair it.
What has happened is this:
The small metal "fingers" of the main switch body are bent over at the back to hold the conatct assembly in place and hold the switch together.
Over the years with people pressing the switch to activate the wash pump the fingers have loosened and now the contacts inside the switch are mis-aligned.
You can carefully release the "fingers" and dismantle the switch, (use a marker pen to mark it so you can reassemble the correct way later ), clean up the years of gunk with a little brake or contact cleaner, regease with vaseline and reassemble.
make sure you bend the metal "finger" over again nice and tight.
It pays to make sure that when you re-install the switch that you have a metal to metal connection from the switch body to the dash panel and that the dash panel is connected to the battery negative.
The wiper operation depends on that negative connection in order for the wipers to operate. ( I spent hours figuring that one out )

Regards

Wayne

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 12:54:31 PM »
You should have a large toothed star lock washer between the sw. body and the dash panel.
Bob

phils_crew

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:25:14 PM »
thanks guys,i will progress to front part of resto soon..as long as my firewood for shop stove holds out..lol. darn cold winters northern ,u.s.a.

anything