Author Topic: Engine Photos  (Read 4943 times)

confederate1tenn

• View Profile
Engine Photos
« on: January 06, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has a original photo or a speck sheet as to exactly what was and wasn't painted on a 327-275 hp engine of a  67 RS. Thank you for any help.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Photos
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »
<<I was wondering if anyone has a original photo or a speck sheet as to exactly what was and wasn't painted on a 327-275 hp engine of a  67 RS. Thank you for any help.>>

Photo below shows 1959 engines as received at the assembly plants - 1967 was the same, except the exhaust manifolds weren't painted in '67.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

confederate1tenn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
Thanks JohnZ, cool pic. What I am wanting to do is detail out the engine and what I am looking for is which bolts were painted and and what wad cad plated. Were the engine lift hooks painted? The plug wire holders on the valve covers? just the nit-pick stuff like that.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 07:05:36 PM »
Thanks JohnZ, cool pic. What I am wanting to do is detail out the engine and what I am looking for is which bolts were painted and and what wad cad plated. Were the engine lift hooks painted? The plug wire holders on the valve covers? just the nit-pick stuff like that.

Anything that shows with a part number callout in the Assembly Manual wasn't painted orange; all the parts shown with part numbers were installed at the car assembly plant. Anything that was part of the engine assembly as received from the engine plant was painted (except the exhaust manifolds).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »
Is that kind of why engine lift brackets (for example) on an alum intake were left as natural finish? -Because they were masked at the time of painting?
What I mean is... they would have never separately received a coat of Chevy Orange on their own -just like an alternator bracket?
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
Is that kind of why engine lift brackets (for example) on an alum intake were left as natural finish? -Because they were masked at the time of painting?
What I mean is... they would have never separately received a coat of Chevy Orange on their own -just like an alternator bracket?

The plastic mask for the aluminum intake manifold mostly covered the lift brackets (which weren't used by the engine plant); for a while after they were introduced, the assembly plants were told to remove them and return them to the engine plants (cost savings), so orange brackets from engines with painted iron intakes were occasionally seen on engines with aluminum intakes.

My Production Engineering Group at the Chevrolet Pilot Line developed the corporate engine lifting brackets for 1968; photo below shows the number of engine dress line hooks on the left side required for multi-car line plants in 1967, with only two hooks on the right side required in those plants for 1968.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »
talk about eliminating needless work...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything