Author Topic: Radiators  (Read 4997 times)

joesauer

• View Profile
Radiators
« on: October 10, 2010, 05:40:28 PM »
Converting my 68 SS 350V8, 4sp to air conditioning (Vintage Air). Need to change out the radiator & shroud to air (23" wide core).  Looking for advice on the best radiator to buy.  Plan to install a 7 blade, clutch fan.  Looked at alumitech, be cool, griffin, etc.  Do some cruising i.e. Hot August Nights, so the engine will running at idle /low speed for extended periods.  Would like to avoid electic fans if possible, but may need to install a manually controled pusher.  Any input is appreciated

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Radiators
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
A direct-fit BeCool aluminum radiator with a stock shroud, 7-blade fan, and clutch should do the job for you with no problem; use foam seals between the radiator and support and between the shroud and radiator so all the airflow goes through the radiator instead of around it, and make sure the fan blade tips are half-in/half-out of the ring formed by the rear edge of the shroud for maximum low-speed airflow.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 01:45:39 PM »
Yup, the factory design should work fine. 23" isn't required either. All the 69 SB rads with AC were 21". In 68, some SB AC were 23", so there's a shroud available if you choose that direction.

http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml
Kurt S
CRG

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:58:11 PM »
Thanks Kurt & JohnZ for all the radiator info.  Want to keep as much of my 68 stock as I can, but still have good cooling.  Think I'll replace the current 4 blade with a 5 blade clutch fan setup & see how the temp looks in extended periods at idle/in traffic.  Can always add a larger core or alum radiator later.  Alumitech has one that can be painted gloss black & looks somewhat like the old Harrisons, or maybe go with a larger Harrison repro.

brad68RS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 03:44:20 AM »
Just put a Jegs brand aluminum radiator in my 68 and it comes with fittings for a automatic trans lines. Works Awesome and fits well.