Author Topic: trunk splatter  (Read 11116 times)

crownroyal58

• View Profile
trunk splatter
« on: November 22, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »
Any advice on which product is good or bad and i also see that there is about three diffrent colors available to use. Which is the correct color to put in the trunk. The car is hugger orange with blacked out tail panel if car color determines which color to use. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

IZRSSS

Re: trunk splatter
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »
If you are not concerned w/factory correct...any of the major suppliers will work, IE; Rick's, Classic Ind. etc. The problem with these products is the result is too uniform.

The only way you can get a factory correct finish is to apply it by hand and in three stages. Primer, base and spatter. These pics are from my car. The base and the spatter appear to be applied with the gun trigger barely depressed, hence the term spatter.

Hope this helps.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »
It was applied with a schutz style gun. I don't know a painter who does not own one. If one ever used the gun they would understand why it sprays as it does. A combination of atomization, viscosity, pressure and nozzle size. Aerosols are incapable of duplicating it. The chemical components in spatter paint don't mix so the finish produced is the result. Which is obvious by it's appearance. Same chemical principles apply to marbleized or any other custom paint; and not limited to the automotive industry. A "spatter" search will provide a plethera of threads and a couple spatter suppliers.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »
I would never use the water-soluble version that you clearcoat.....
Kurt S
CRG

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 12:11:02 AM »
Reason?
Bob
I would never use the water-soluble version that you clearcoat.....

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 01:20:11 AM »
Just a guess...Trunk...Moisture ???.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 08:00:54 AM »
They are not original materials and can be a real mess if water gets thru the clear coat.
The good stuff is like the original material.
Kurt S
CRG

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 11:52:03 AM »
I used the normal spray can spatter, but the surface is very fragile.  I sprayed 3 coats of matte clear, came out decent, not factory, but I am happy with it. Make sure you use hard setting seam sealer in the trunk and let it cure before spraying the spatter.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
Larry Christensen had the original formula made up through the Zolatone company.  He sells it in qt cans and one does a trunk.  It does a very nice job and probably the most correct to original on the market.  We have been using this for years and I stock it.  Camaros Plus in Arvada, CO also has it in stock too.  It's about $65 a qt.

Everyone uses it for the "Legends" judging at the Camaro Nationals.

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »
For us do-it-yourselfer's can you elaborate on the application?  IE; Prep, Standard Gun, Special Gun, Air Pressure, etc. I'd hate to practice with a $65.00 can. Or...if the initial set-up costs do not warrent shooting one trunk...would we be better off just having a "Professional" do the job? 

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »
Pressure gun.  Zolatone also supplies an instruction sheet on how to do it.  I supply one of the instruction sheets with every can that we sell.

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »
Sounds easy enough...Thanks.

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 06:23:11 PM »
Jerry,
I hate to sound dumb, but what is a preasure gun, and would it be possible to get a copy of that instruction sheet PLEASE ?

Mike

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 02:26:49 AM »
Send me a SASE and I'll send you a copy.  You'll have to ask a painter about the guns.  I'm not a painter.  There are syphon ad pressire to my knowledge.  The pressure relies more on air pressure, I thnk.

Address here:  www.z28camaro.com. click on restoration services........

Jerry

crownroyal58

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
thanks Jerry, but i went to the Zolatone web site and found what i needed.

anything