Author Topic: Engine too high on Z/28  (Read 5095 times)

BurgundyZ28

• View Profile
Engine too high on Z/28
« on: November 13, 2010, 02:43:21 AM »
I have a 69 Z/28 with a 327 out of a 67 camaro, and am having trouble closing the hood.  Thanks to your great web site, I learned that Z28's have special motor mounts that I installed recently.  I have the cowl induction hood and cowl air cleaner set up like original, but the hood has never closed correctly, even after installing the correct motor mounts.  The motor actually sets up a little higher with new mounts.  I would say that the engine is now about an inch too high.  Any ideas why the hood won't close correctly?

Thanks

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Engine too high on Z/28
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 12:27:18 PM »
You will need the proper frame mounts AND the proper motor mounts AND the original intake manifold ETC (and maybe even unworn hood hinges).

You could just remove the air cleaner spacer ring and the hood would close fine.

-Mark.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:06:29 PM »
Holley has an intake that is very close in height of the original Z intake. It was on my Z when I bought it and fit fine. If you determine that is your problem I can get you the model number. I still have it but have put an original intake on the car.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 04:44:57 PM »
I have a 69 Z/28 with a 327 out of a 67 camaro, and am having trouble closing the hood.  Thanks to your great web site, I learned that Z28's have special motor mounts that I installed recently.  I have the cowl induction hood and cowl air cleaner set up like original, but the hood has never closed correctly, even after installing the correct motor mounts.  The motor actually sets up a little higher with new mounts.  I would say that the engine is now about an inch too high.  Any ideas why the hood won't close correctly?

Thanks

Are you sure you have the correct frame mounts?

http://www.camaros.org/engine.shtml#EngineMounting
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

BurgundyZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:51:13 AM »
I checked the frame mounts before I replaced the motor mounts - they are original.