Author Topic: Leaf Springs Too High  (Read 2858 times)

69-er

• View Profile
Leaf Springs Too High
« on: November 13, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I've run into an interesting problem. On my 68 Firebird the leaf springs were replaced at one point in it's life from the factory (I think) 5 leaves, to 6 leaves. This didn't leave enough room inside the perch and shock plate. They torqued the hell out of the bolts until the plates were bent and the rubber squeezed to nothing. There was still a considerable gap between the plate and perch.

I removed one leaf, about 12" long, from the bottom, and added a 1/4" shim between the perch and plate. Now, the new rubber has a nice clamping pressure without too much distortion.

I also sandblasted the springs and painted them. I didn't take the leaves apart. You can see the before and after pics below.

Now the car sits way too high. They are almost at the limits of the shock travel. The shackle and front mount bolts are still loose.

That's all I did. I can't think of any reason why the springs are not compressing like they used to. Anybody have some suggestions as to why this is happening?

Charley

• View Profile
Re: Leaf Springs Too High
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:24:46 PM »
I would tip your car right side up.

JoeC

• View Profile
Re: Leaf Springs Too High
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:44:41 PM »
Your bottom leaf must have been holding the top leaf more flat so it changed the center to center dimension which can change the ride hight?
not sure what happened but the spring is designed as a unit.

You can try to give Palmer Spring a call.
I just bought leaf springs from them for an old Chevy truck.
The tech guy was very helpful and really knew his springs and helped me select mine as I changed from original.

Palmer is an intersting family owned company established in 1849 still makes some items and still has a working black smith shop.
He said they still make springs for stage coach restorations.
web site
http://www.palmer-spring.com/

anything