Author Topic: So I Think My 69 Is A True SS but...  (Read 6420 times)

Spicoli

• View Profile
So I Think My 69 Is A True SS but...
« on: November 09, 2010, 03:39:59 AM »
I don't want to post another "is this a true SS" thread, but I want to get everyone's take on my car.

Here are the facts:

1. I was told by the second owner that it was a true 1969 SS 350 L48 car, but it does not have the original motor.
2. It does have a numbers matching M20 and a very date correct 12 bolt posi rear end.
3. It has the original two fuel lines.
4. It has the original multi leaf springs on the rear.
5. It has power front disc/rear drum brakes w/original valve on driver's side (I haven't looked at the brakes themselves to verify dates, etc. yet, but all of the lines look original).
6. It has what appears to be an original SS hood (can't see factory stamp yet, as the car was repainted once, but I can see areas where the original burgundy paint can be seen).
7. It has the correct dual exhaust bracket welded to the driver's side rear frame rail.
8. I sanded down the red non-D90 repaint job and found D90 hockey stripes on the front of the car.
9. Speedo line comes out of the firewall on the correct side of the steering column.
10. It is an X-11 (I know that this doesn't mean much).
11. It has the 5 spoke SS wheels that are dated a few months after the car's build date (doesn't mean much at all).
12. It has the necessary SS hood springs.
13. It has a V8 VIN.

So what I can say is the car was a performance model. Either an SS L48 or an LM1 and ccording to CRG, it does have all of the necessary options to be an SS.

Are there any other clues that I am missing???  I know that it is next to impossible with out the original motor. Just wanted your take.  :-[
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 04:35:47 AM by Spicoli »

ckreger57

• View Profile
Re: So I Think My 69 Is A True SS but...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 04:00:59 AM »
I seem to have run in to a very similar situation with my SS.  It has all the "Makings" of a real SS, but without the engine and/or a Build Sheet, it is hard to say.  I do not have a 12 Bolt Rear end, but do have Multi Leaf Springs, Front Disc Brakes, Power Steering, and the original Auto 350 Trans.  The previous owner stated his Father owned the car, and beleives the Engine was a 327.  My only thought on that is SS did not come with 327's.  My Cowl Tag has X-11, which as you stated doesnt really mean a whole lot, except it had a Trim Package.  I have a tendancy to believe, based on reading and research, that sometime after Feb 1969, no Camaros came with the 327 engine.  I do not intend on restoreing this car to an "Original" show car anyway, but I want a Driver and Show car.  Have fun on your project, I am.

Spicoli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 04:06:41 AM »
I hear you CK... I am not restoring it to show quality either, but I am going to keep it original to the trim tag, which is burgundy paint, black vinyl top and standard interior.

What do you plan to do with regards to the engine?  I think I may go with an updated L48 build that looks stock, or maybe even a 383.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »
I suspect it's an SS, but it's hard to get solid proof. You're best proof probably is the hood.

What's the complete axle code?
Kurt S
CRG

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »
327 was discontinued in 69. My 2D x11 has the replacement engine, the 307.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

lasereye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Sounds like a SS. I'm sure glad I just have a plain Jane X-55 and don't have to go down the," I'm 99.9% sure I have a SS", road.

Spicoli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 07:39:08 PM »
Sounds like a SS. I'm sure glad I just have a plain Jane X-55 and don't have to go down the," I'm 99.9% sure I have a SS", road.

I hear you... the process of trying to correctly identify my car has been fun, but very nerve racking.

Spicoli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 07:40:47 PM »
I suspect it's an SS, but it's hard to get solid proof. You're best proof probably is the hood.

What's the complete axle code?

It is:  BS 1209G2/E (12 bolt, Eaton w/posi geared 3.31, assembled on Dec 9, 1968)

Cast Date:  L 6 8 (Dec 6, 1968)

The assembly date of my car according to the cowl tag is: 2nd week of December 1968, so they match up pretty well.

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 09:02:02 PM »
Your Axle code should look similar to this one. Its located on the upper forward right side.

Apologies...Looks like you already decoded it. Certainly is the right axle.

The only other information I can give you is at this site;http://www.chevy-camaro.com/faq/chevy-camaro-faq-SS.shtm, unfortunately it is almost impossible to determine if your car was an SS without the engine. All other SS equipment, stripes, badges etc. could be easily replaced. Probably not what you wanted to hear..good luck.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:25:52 PM by IZRSSS »

Spicoli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 03:25:07 AM »
Thanks IZ... I have surrendered to the fact that I will never know for sure about my car, but it sure has been fun trying to figure it out.  In the end, it doesn't really matter... I don't ever plan on selling it, but who knows.

ckreger57

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »
Although Decoding is Nerve Racking....its all in the fun of having a Classic.  I found a nice 327 (complete), built 2 weeks later than the Car.  I will rebuild it and drop it in.  It is amazing that in the mid to late 60's, Chevy could produce almost 300 HP from a 327 with 2 Bolt Mains.  I'm not out to break any Land Speed Records, so my project will get 327 Trim and Rally Sport option along with a functional Cowl Induction system.  I will have all the "Easy Living" comforts, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Air Conditioning.  And if all goes well, can still burn off tires.  Car happened to have the R and L Rally Sport Headlight Brackets in the trunk.  Have no idea if they are original to the car.  Also a brand new set of Chrome Inserts (in original GM Box).  Someone else may have had the same idea I did with the RS option.

Thanks for the stories.