Author Topic: Looking for a good body and paint shop in Central Florida.  (Read 3952 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Looking for a good body and paint shop in Central Florida.
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:14:30 AM »
I am looking for a top quality paint and body shop to do the final body work and show quality paint on my '68 Camaro. The shell has already repaired with full panel replacements and is rust free.

I am needing a shop to assemble the front end sheet metal, fix the imperfections in the sheet metal, set all the panel gaps even and consistant, and prep and final paint. I might also want to have all the glass and weather stripping installed. I would take the car from that point and finish it from there.

I would like to find a shop with experience in first generation Camaros. I live in Central Florida (Orlando area) and would like to find someone in the area if possible. It would be nice to be within a reasonable driving distance of the shop so I could periodically check on the progress. Travel to other parts of Florida or even further would not be out of the question, though. I would consider any place, regardless of location, to get the job done right.

Thanks,
Dave

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a good body and paint shop in Central Florida.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 02:40:07 AM »
Check with NPD in Ocala and see if they recommend anyone.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 05:34:30 AM »
Take a ride over to OLD TOWN any Saturday (2 to 8) and just ask around. Plenty of nice cars to look at.
Bob

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:37:05 PM »
There is a dealer in Sarasota that does very high-end '69 Camaros. If they don't do the work someone nearby does.

www.carsbyss.com
Learning more and more about less and less...

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »
What about Frank at Prodigy Customs? He's in Orlando. I'm aware he does touring cars but he has years in restos also. It's merely a suggestion. RamAirDave is on this site too and traveling was an option as stated. http://www.themusclecarguys.net/

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 01:47:36 AM »
Dave-
I can't help you with a shop, but I can give some advice based on my experience.  My 68 convertible had metal work done at a reputable shop (using NOS quarters, NOS door skins, NOS front fenders - everything else was solid).  The car ended up being put on the back burner at that shop for many years with no end in sight, so I took it back and it is currently at a restoration shop that really knows what they are doing.  I had planned to do the same thing as you;  Have the shop perform final panel alignment, bodywork, then paint the car.  I would have them do the glass, conv. top and some weatherstripping & trim.  I would take care of the remainder of the assembly.  Should be fairly straight-forward, right?  Well, not really.

The problem is that a reputable shop who is going to take responsibility for the final product is not going to take the car at face value.  They will want to go over the existing work very carefully to ensure that everything was done right.  Also, since the car is just a shell (I assume), they really have no idea if all the trim, bumpers, emblems, lights, grille, etc are going to fit, especially if aftermarket panels were used.  A good shop will want to test-fit all those components to ensure that the car will go back together without issues after final paint is complete. 

So, they will end up with all your parts to complete the body assembly.  They will have fit & removed these parts at least once and know when & how they want to install each piece.  At that point, you may as well just let them fit all these parts as part of the body restoration.  Why risk damaging your expensive paint job at that point - just let them do it.  This is going to add time & money to the project, so be prepared for it.  I thought I was prepared, but I know my jaw dropped just a little when we started talking estimated hours.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17