Author Topic: 68 Power disk brakes problem  (Read 12675 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 68 Power disk brakes problem
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 05:02:27 AM »
Okay, here's an update... Got the calipers back from Vette Brakes and installed them last Wednesday, and so far so good (knock wood)! Haven't driven the car a lot, so not a good test until we do, but the pedal feels great and they stop on a dime and give nine cents change!

Keep our fingers crossed...

Ed

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 04:46:38 PM »
I can't explain it as good as he can, but basically you have to make sure your rotors are true to .003" or you could have problems. And you have to have them turned as an "assembly" (hub and rotor), or you won't get accurate results. Not so much an issue on the Camaro one piece rotors, but difficult on the original Camaro/Corvette two piece "hub and rotor" assemblies.

Ed

Ed - do you know of any source for new rotors for a 67-68 two piece setup?  I recently rediscovered my original two piece rotor hubs and would like to go back to stock, without having to buy the entire repopped hub/rotor assembly just to get a rotor.

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 04:52:28 PM »
If you send the calipers out for rebuild, make sure they don't grind down the casting # area to restamp with their own internal number.  Hopefully rebuilders today know not to do this, but I have seen some older rebuilds where this was done. 

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
Ed - do you know of any source for new rotors for a 67-68 two piece setup?

No, unfortunately you have to get the hub and rotor assembly. I don't know of anyone selling just the rotor.

Ed