Author Topic: Gen 1, Oil Pan  (Read 8765 times)

68ZRe

• View Profile
Gen 1, Oil Pan
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
What are the differences between the GM, 360450 & 465220 pans?
Will the 360450 pan fit the 302 & give the correct clearances?
What are the factory finishes on these pans?

Mike

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Gen 1, Oil Pan
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:54:09 PM »
Without digging too hard and at the risk of leaving out some trivial details - the Z/28 pan has been sold in several different versions with the differences being minor. The exact original production line pan has not been available for many years as a service part. At one point back in the 70's the front pan seal dimension was changed to be the same as the then current production line pan seal dimensions so ALL oil pans sold as service replacements were affected by the change. The pan was the same except for the seal thickness change. The pan was also sold as a different part number with the gaskets at one time but not anymore. There are several obsolete part numbers.

Bottom line - you can still buy the Z/28 pan at the dealer today and it will fit and fuction the same if you use the correct thickness front rubber pan seal . The service replacements are sold in a tough black paint finish.

-Mark.

68ZRe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Thanks for answering my first Posting, Mark!

The Oil Pan issue is a sad story. A metal stripper ruined my original pan/timing cvr with one of the acids used in the zinc phosphate coating process?

GM Performance Parts have been dissapointing in providing details of their listed oil pan so thanks again for clearing that up.

Thanks also to the Forum for all the great detailed information. Wish I had known about this resource when the restoration started 10 months ago.

Mike.

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:52:51 AM »
Where did you dig the oil pan numbers, e.g. 360450 and 465220 from?? Are they coded somewhere on the pan(s)?
Do you have a pic of the pan they ruined?  Just for my info as I need to identify some pans that I have..
Thanks!
Ted

68ZRe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:57:49 PM »
The 360450 # is from the current GM Performance catalog, page 169. The use is for 70-79 Camaros but as was said it can be used on older engines with the proper seals. The 456220 # comes from a 88, GM Parts, Chev Power catalog, for use on 67-74,
Z28's &75-79, L82, 350's. I don't know what kind of seals are correct for this pan?

I believe the only stamping on the chain cvr/pan are date codes from what I've seen on ebaY. No #'s are visible on my parts after what has happened to them.

The original pan has L/R side rails & a sloped vertical piece across the mid point of the pan for the internal baffling. Don't know what the above pans are using?

Will work on some pictures.

With limited experience in all this I'm sure other members will correct any errors I've made

Thanks.
Mike.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »

This is the pan. Both part numbers are essentially interchangeable.

If you look closely at the second pic you will see the 2 sheet metal rails on either side of the interior. They are spot welded in place and will mate up with the curled edges on the bare steel windage tray shown (on the left in bottom pic and on right against cylinder head in top pic). The seal difference is not a big deal as most gasket kits include both early and late style rubber seals. You just use the one that fits, and assemble.

-Mark.

68ZRe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 02:42:45 AM »
Thanks Mark.
That pan looks the same as my original. It has the same baffling & the outside shape looks correct.
Which one is that, is it the 456220 or the current 360450? My original windage tray is OK.
Is your car a 69 Z?

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »
68ZRe,
That pan is what they were selling when I bought it about 10 years ago frpm GM. You can buy this pan today under the 360450 part number. This is the current number for the obsolete 456220. It has been in the Chevy Power Manual and the GM High Performance Parts Book FOREVER. Order a new one - they are rather reasonable in price compared to other '69 Z/28 parts. Just the fact that we can still buy it from GM after all these years tells you it must be a pretty good piece. :)

I still have my '69 Z/28 that I bought back in the late '70's.

-Mark.

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 11:46:31 AM »
One of the guy's on Team Camaro did a nice job putting info together on this, with pic's.

Paul

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178450&highlight=oil+pan

anything