Author Topic: Am/Fm Blue-Light Radio  (Read 43233 times)

IZRSSS

Am/Fm Blue-Light Radio
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:41:19 PM »
KurtS...
Not sure if this will help with your research of the Yellow Light Radio but here are some pics of a Blue-Light. The car is a '69 Van Nuys 12A build. Let me know if more pics are needed.

Can anyone tell me what the sticker on the 3rd & 4Th pic means. I believe this is the correct radio for the car but this March 30, 1995 tag ???. Could it be a recondition inspection sticker or is it the wrong radio?

http://www.camaros.org/TopicsofResearch.shtml
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:52:10 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

Re: Am/Fm Blue-Light Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:42:38 PM »
Radio Contd...looks like someone took a file to the mounting bracket.

Anyone know what this sticker is for?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:50:04 PM by IZRSSS »

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »
on the topic of the yellow light radio - I have a yellow light am/fm radio, I always thought it was a 70's model or from when the dealer installed the 8-track
I know the radio is not stereo
Is there a way to verify the radio is from 69 (it has no sticker on it any longer)?

Chris
69 SS 350

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 09:08:54 PM »
KurtS...
Not sure if this will help with your research of the Yellow Light Radio but here are some pics of a Blue-Light. The car is a '69 Van Nuys 12A build. Let me know if more pics are needed.

The sticker in the 3rd&4th pic, looks like when the unit was repaired. The servicer applied a repair/service tag dated 3/3/1995 for possibly repair warranty validation.

Can anyone tell me what the sticker on the 3rd & 4Th pic means. I believe this is the correct radio for the car but this March 30, 1995 tag ???. Could it be a recondition inspection sticker or is it the wrong radio?

Radio Contd...looks like someone took a file to the mounting bracket.

Anyone know what this sticker is for?

The sticker in the 3rd&4th pic, looks like when the unit was repaired. The servicer applied a repair/service tag dated 3/3/1995 for possibly repair warranty validation.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:48:24 PM by paceme »
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 09:25:18 PM »
on the topic of the yellow light radio - I have a yellow light am/fm radio, I always thought it was a 70's model or from when the dealer installed the 8-track
I know the radio is not stereo
Is there a way to verify the radio is from 69 (it has no sticker on it any longer)?

The yellow/amber lit radio is in fact stereo, with an integrated multiplexer. Look at the model# tag it should read 91BFM2 the first digit is the model year for the radio. If no tag look for the large plug used in 1969 . If it has the thin plug its 1970.

FM1 = am/fm stereo blue light
FM2 = am/fm stereo amber/yellow light

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:05:41 PM »
So it looks like I have the FM2 & it does read 91BFM2. Here is where I'm confussed...is the light on the radio consistant with its name?  My radio has a distinctive blue-light.  

The other question I have is that on the link below; [1969 Topics, #2; Phase-in of the "yellow-light" stereo system in 1969 (June)?]  My car is a 12A (Dec. 68)...was the yellow-light radio available then? Does the question mark at the end of the quote mean it is still being evaluated?

Thanks for the info for the repair/service tag!

Thanks paceme!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 11:27:43 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
Paceme...Is this the Multiplexer Cable you PM'd me about. You also mentioned that the Multiplex Unit should be mounted behind the clove box. Is it possible to see it w/o removing the c-box? I traced the cable but it seems to go way up in there above the box.

Thanks again

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »
You can see the rubber well nuts that mount the multiplex thru the right side cowl vent grill near the top .

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »
You guys are "sick"...according to my teenage son that mean good...

Spotted them and then referenced AIM U79 A2 (4 & 5)...is this correct?

Thanks!

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »
Yes

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 08:37:13 PM »
Is there a possibility that a "Blue-Light" FM2 designation was used for early production '69 camaros? Everything my radio has is consistant with a factory blue-light install, AIM U79 A2, down to original factory labels on radio and cables.

The radio has been serviced as indicated by the label, but I can't see why anyone would go through the trouble of changing tags, casing, or interior components.

Can anyone help?

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 08:52:28 PM »
paceme - here is a pic of the back of the radio
Chris
69 SS 350

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »
Is there a possibility that a "Blue-Light" FM2 designation was used for early production '69 camaros? Everything my radio has is consistant with a factory blue-light install, AIM U79 A2, down to original factory labels on radio and cables.

The radio has been serviced as indicated by the label, but I can't see why anyone would go through the trouble of changing tags, casing, or interior components.

Can anyone help?

Marty, the amber light stereo also came with an external multiplexer in 1969, which is what your car has. The FM2 just designates the model as the second revision of the stereo unit(probably some circuitry changes). All 69 am/fm stereo units have an external multiplexer. In 1970 the integrated multiplex units were introduced. My understanding is that the amber units were introduced sometime around mid 69.

We know the radio in your car was repaired in 1995, so it may have been simply swapped out for another unit.   
Steve Shauger

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 10:23:42 PM »
paceme - here is a pic of the back of the radio

That is a 1970 or later unit, as indicated by the power connector location and type. What does the service model tag indicate.
Steve Shauger

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »
Sorry...I'm still confussed...

Can you tell by the service label who made the repair?

anything