Author Topic: 68 RS/SS 396 convertible. Can anybody help verify  (Read 4014 times)

rvas

• View Profile
68 RS/SS 396 convertible. Can anybody help verify
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »
OK I recently purchased a 68 convertible. I believe that it is a rs/ss 396 convertable.
After spending hours on this site I have concluded that it is most likely real.
The Vin is 124678Nxxxxxx
Trim tag reads as follows.

05B
  ST  68-12467   NOR130313
  TR  730                   Y1

Here are the key factors I found that support my findings.

Heater box has center connections
Auto trans with the speedo on the drivers left.
Multi leaf rear springs
Regulator valve in rear brake line
RS tail lights with backup lights in panel.
Can anybody verify my findings.

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: 68 RS/SS 396 convertible. Can anybody help verify
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »
For '68, one never truely knows what the car was w/o the orginal drive train...  My car has everything required to be an SS except for one sticker.  But no original drive train.  So, was it an SS?  I'd like to think so.  Though, it is only an educated guess...

One other thing to check for that I can think of off the top of my head is fuel line(s).  Then again, all these parts could have been swapped in from a donor car.  The best advice I've seen it to verify as much as possible.  Then, you are free to believe it to be correct.  If you ever decide to sell it, you will have to be open to the fact that people will question it.  That's just the way it is today...

It looks like your car needs some major work.  Good luck on your project!  It should be a lot of fun!

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:39:43 AM »
First to help verify that you have a BB, have a good camera ready to document what you find.
The firewall heater box looks to be original so let's start with it.  Take more detailed pictures of it and find the date code on the blower motor, should be close to O5B.
Now, remove the blower motor and take pictures of the motor flange (box side) and the surface where it bolted to the box.
Remove the heater box and take more pictures of box and firewall. Clean sealer off firewall and take pictures of blackout paint around box, should be like new. Do not use lacquer thiner. I believe original heater cores are date coded so check and compare with build date, take pictures of any part numbers.
Show us what you find.
Bob

rare396bronze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 03:30:33 AM »
If you have the original subframe were the fuel line comes from under the car & start's to go up the frame on back side it the line was held on by a clamp that was riveted to the frame it was a big block car where a small block car clamp was held on by a bolt. Also see if you can do a title seach at your local dmv. Also look at tire sticker on glove box door see what size tire came on it .

rvas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 01:18:32 PM »
Well the subframe and drivetrain were not with the car when I bought it.
The car was at a bodyshop and the shop went belly up.
The guy I bought the car from bought it and another camaro from the bank auction.
He says he might know how to find the drive train, and subframe.
Apparently the employees at the shop were disgruntled (for not being paid) and they proceded to strip the cars in the shop as payment.
He thinks he can find the guy that has access to the drive train and subframe.
If I do find this guy. what do I look for to verify that they are the correct parts.
from what I understand the engine and trans will have the partial vin. how about the rear end.
Also does the subframe have numbers anywhere?
Big Iron,
I will do what you said documenting the disassembly process with a camera.
Flying,
A project of this scale doesn't bother me. I just finished a frame off in July. it is a 74 Ramcharger 440 4wd with 456 gears.

anything