Author Topic: Tinted Glass Scratches  (Read 10185 times)

Dusk_Blue_Z

• View Profile
Tinted Glass Scratches
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
We've just installed some older tinted windows and they're pretty scratched up. Would it be okay to buff the inside and outside of the glass? Where exactly is the tint, is it in the interior portion of the glass or possibly sandwiched in the glass? Do I have to worry about effecting the tint?

Thanks,

Nick
1969 X77 01B 51 51 flat hood

IZRSSS

Re: Tinted Glass Scratches
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:55:25 PM »
Interesting topic. I purchased a glass polishing wheel & Rhodite glass polishing compound a while back. It seemed to remove very slight blemishes but did nothing to improve scratches. Have you tried this before and if so did it work?

Dusk_Blue_Z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
To be more specific, they are factory tinted windows.

I was thinking of buying compund and polishing wheel like Marty's done. Has anyone done this to tinted glass and what was the outcome? You can PM me if you'd like.

Thanks,

Nick

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
Polishing out glass imperfections (using cerium oxide compound, wet) is extremely laborious, messy, and time-consuming, and is seldom successful; if you can feel a scratch with your fingernail, forget polishing it out.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:20:19 PM »
Nick,

John as usual is exactly correct. You have to mask the entire car and the compound which is extremely abrasive gets cast out every where. This is hardly worth the effort when you consider the reward. As mention before, it only eliminates very fine blemishes. John also mentioned the fingernail test. This product also indicates the same thing.

My cars glass has years of pitting on the windshield and a few scratches on the side and rear glass. I don't think its a big deal when you consider the glass is original to the car. If some judges see a need to deduct points for this then so be-it. I'm content to leave it just the way it is. Having said that, I think qualified judges are more concerned with correct glass marks than a few scratches.

You also have concerns with tint damage. Although I do not know the exact process used in tinting I would have to say it is in the exterior of the glass and not sandwiched. So yes, you would damage the tint. This link will offer some insight as to how the glass was manufactured...

http://www.camaros.org/glass.shtml#process

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:41:31 PM by IZRSSS »

Dusk_Blue_Z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll take you guys' advice and leave the windows alone. No sense in risking ruining anything.

Just another reason to ride with the windows down  ;D

Nick

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:09:25 AM »
I am having Ron Cook at www.repairanyglass.com polish up the door glass on my '67. We'll see how it turns out. I removed the glass from the car and he even asked me to remove it from the metal support. He can and has polished glass while still on the car but it is more complicated and he works out of the Southern CA area. He also said he can remove scratches only from the outside surface of the glass, not the inside surface as that makes for more optical distortion.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »
I know that Ken Lucas at Lucas Restorations has tried this and had a professional come in and do it on several occasions.  The outcome was not good at all.  Ken is back to installing new dated glass.  I wish I had better news but it's not worth the effort.  And for the hired professionals who do this, it ain't cheap either.

Just my two cents worth,

Jerry

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 02:49:15 AM »
Well, let us know how it turns out, sounds like it might be too good to be true.  I have the same problem where someone sanded the car and got some of the original glass.
68Z28

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 11:02:18 PM »
Well, I got my glass back and I was pleased with the results. The scratches that were worn into the back part of the '67 door glass were completely removed. Unfortunately, my before pictures did not come out good enough so that you can see what they used to look like. Anyway, the glass is much better than it was. Like I said before, he can't fix scratches that are on the inside of the glass. This is because the disc that he uses to get the scratches out is flat and while you can polish an outside curve with something flat, it is not practical for use on the inside. I really wanted to keep the original glass and I feel comfortable doing that now. Would I recommend it for somebody who was wanting to get their car judged? I don't think so as there are always little blemishes that show up. You fix one area and then you start noticing other little things you hadn't seen because of the magnitude of the previous blemishes.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 09:42:02 PM »
Has anyone tried the epoxy they use today to hide chips, cracks, etc?
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 11:04:41 PM »
I had it done to a couple of chips that were about a 1/16" in diameter. Not sure why but the results weren't as good as with my newer vehicles. In fact, it didn't change them a bit. On the plus side, the risk of them developing a crack is much less.

anything