Author Topic: Quadrajet Restoration  (Read 27320 times)

vtfb68

• View Profile
Re: Quadrajet Restoration
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »
Call  Mike from "The Carburetor Shop" in Santa Ana 714-556-2181. There is also a web site. He has done great work for me a number of times.
  VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »
I just got notice today that Cliff has my carb stripped down and he has identified all the work that needs to be done.  Yes, it's been a while since I sent him the carb, but I knew that he had a 6-8 month backlog when I sent it in.  I gave them the go-ahead and it should be done within the next week or so.
I'll try to post some pictures when I get it back.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

john302

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 06:00:49 PM »
Cliff has my Qjet since Jan. When did you send him yours?His work is the best I hear. Hope so for the long wait. Thanks John

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »
I sent it to him in late October.

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 08:52:19 PM »
There are plenty of carb people around. I would not put up with anybody keeping my carb over a couple weeks. They are really not rocket science whether it is a Holley or Q-Jet. I bet Jerry M. wiould have it back way quicker than that. Most of the times I think these carbs come back over colored/restored anyhow but that is JMO.

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 01:07:13 PM »
There are plenty of carb people around.
Yes there are.  However, it seems that only a few actually know what they are doing.
I bet Jerry M. wiould have it back way quicker than that.
Yeah, he turned mine around fairly quickly.  But it was far from "mine" when it was returned to me, and it wasn't properly restored.

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »
hopefully you contacted him? I am sure he will do good for you.

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 02:24:03 PM »
^^Yes, I did, and No, he didn't.

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 02:49:04 PM »
WOW

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
What Jeff states here is not totally true.  I tried to go the extra distance with him but he was still not happy.  I did do my best, my plater was partly to blame and co-mingled some small pieces by mistake, I had also tried to make it up with a discount with a future dist job and refunded money on the carb job. 

He did get HIS carb back and it tested well and ran fine.  There were very anal issues about the plating on the shaft.  I explained that plating the shafts removes the green teflon coatings, etc.  It's water under the bridge.  I have improved some of our steps to the plater so these issues never happen again........I did the best I could for the man.  That's all I can do. 

Jerry   

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
I should also mention that I did a Q-jet and engine reebuild job for a retired secret service agent.  He was very anal and could not have been happier with our work.  He also wanted to make his L35 396 SS396 Camaro make over 400 hp and still retain all stock parts.  A challenge to say the least.  The results were 405 hp with stock Q-jet carb, cast iron intake and stock L35 engine with slightly larger camshaft.  A very tall order to fill but we did it.

Jerry

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 04:46:41 PM »
We all know that you can't please everyone, especially in business, but with that in mind, I will say that I just had my Holley restored by Jerry and was VERY pleased with the results. Since I drive my car and don't care about plating, colors, correctness, etc... I just wanted him to "rebuild" it and test it for me to make sure it was working correctly. However, after I got it back, it was absolutely beautiful and "restored". Almost too beautiful to install on a driver!

So yes, there will always be customers that will never be satisfied with the results, but there will also be others like myself that couldn't be happier.

Ed

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 05:54:33 PM »
Jerry-
If you would like to get into the details, I would be more than happy to post everything here.  Do you really want to go this route?

IZRSSS

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 06:11:53 PM »
Wow...I learned the hard way Jeff... an open forum is not the way to resolve personal issues.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7631.0
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:30:42 PM by IZRSSS »

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 12:41:19 AM »
OK, my original post asked for experience with 2 specific shops that rebuild Q-jets.  Neither shop was CHP.  When sam inquired about CHP (Jerry), I simply stated that previously my carb wasn't properly restored by them.  That's a fact.  Did my carb look good?  Yes, it sure did.  Was my carb restored properly?  No.  Following the rules of the forum, I made a factual statement that was by no means intended to start an argument.

The interesting thing here is that if I made this statement about any other vendor, nobody would care.  Unfortunately, CHP/Jerry have a reputation and a big "fan base" built up here.  Everyone wants to come to his defense.  

Then there's the stories that follow about how happy people are with his work.  That's great - for those people.  Oh, and some of these people aren't just normal people like us, they're super-special people like a retired secret service agent.  Wow, indeed.  They're not regular people like me - heck, I'm only a Mechanical Engineer with almost 20 years experience and multiple international patents who's been working on cars since I was in elementary school, what would I know?

Now, show me the proof that what was done by CHP was a correct restoration.  Show me the before & after hi-res pictures documenting the correct components were used.  What?  There are no pictures?  You have no idea where your original factory-correct components are?  Wow, what a surprise.  The fact is that I have a bunch of pictures and would be more than happy to point out everything that was done incorrectly to my carb.  But, again, my intent was not to start an argument so I'm not going to get into any more details (yet).

Jerry-
Please go back and read this:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7631.0
Stating that what I said was "not totally true" is the same thing as calling me a liar, and that's the best way to start an argument.  Arguing doesn't belong here.

So, please go back and read what I wrote.  My statements were:
1)  That my carb "...was far from "mine" when it was returned to me, and it wasn't properly restored."
2)  "No, he didn't."  in response to sam's statement that "I am sure he will do good for you."
These are both completely factual statements.

Now, Jerry, do you want to continue?  If so, then the gloves will come off.  If no, then I suggest you go back and edit your posts (or contact a mod to have them edited) and we'll make it like none of this ever happened.  How about you plan taking care of this by, say, 9am tomorrow.

To everyone else:
I'm sorry to have to make a post like this.  It's not really my style for these forums.  I have made some simple factual statements about MY experience with this vendor.  I was not trying to start any type of argument, but when bit I will bite back.  I'm not scared or intimidated by anyone's reputation or supposed expertise.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:02:21 AM by jeff68 »

anything