Author Topic: '69 Space Saver Spare  (Read 38724 times)

IZRSSS

'69 Space Saver Spare
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:18:48 PM »
I purchased a Space Saver Spare and Canister several years ago.  The pics are attached.  The person I bought them from said he had two sets. One that he kept from a '69 camaro he had sold and another one that is still with his other '69 camaro.  I'm sure you've heard this before...he said it's an original set and they both match.  Can anyone verify if this?  The only ID I can find is the letter HE or HF & #1 next to the valve stem.  There might be others but my eye sight isn't what it use to be.

Thanks

IZRSSS

Re: '69 Space Saver Spare
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
...and the Canister.

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 04:16:35 AM »
I was going to ask you about the codes on your SSS, I will look tomorrow and get the codes to compare. I have no idea if mine is correct to the car but from memory it is identicle to yours. If I remember correctly my inflator canister only has only one tire size listed where yours list a few different sizes.
69 SS/RS Hugger orange-Ivory houndstooth, endura.
69 RS Conv. Black/Black-Ivory interior, endura, DX1.

IZRSSS

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:42:24 AM »
I spent month's researching the tire before I opted to purchase this one.  As it turns out there is a lot written about the N65 but very few visual aids to go on.  Hopefully this thread will spark some interest by those who know.  

The guy I bought it from sent me several photos of both his cars w/SSS.  He also stated that he worked for GM back then and these were infact the correct tire's (but you know what they say...).  All I can say is that he certainly convinced me.  Again, we communicated for several weeks before I paid the outragous price and I do recall finding this same exact tire on so called original cars.  Who knows...it could have been Tommy ;D.

I did a quick search and here is a pic of a, "Unrestored L89 Drag Strip Test-Super Chevy Magazine"... Notice the paint color, the markings on the rubber and the thread.  Even though my pics do not show the thread, I think the two are identical.  Also notice what he's doing to the canister :o
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:41:25 AM by IZRSSS »

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 03:58:26 PM »
OK... I looked at mine and it looks identicle exept for the codes.

Mine is stamped with a small MI7 and a large 10 on the left of the stem and to the right of the stem is a large 24 and a large HI. The tire is a BF Goodrich 7.35-14 tire with a 4 ply rating 2 ply space saver spare.

The inflator canister sleve says Gr. 5.800 Tire inflator 1 #9793469 and the only tire size listed is 7.35X14.

I will get pictures when I get the chance.. possibly tonight?

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:10:54 PM »
Thanks, looking forward to the pics.

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »
Work was slow so I got some pics with my cell phone. I tried to highlight the codes in the wheel with yellow but still a little hard to make out..

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 07:14:49 PM »
The bracket was with the car but I think its for the later/smaller canister?

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 07:34:58 PM »
Just a thought, might the one tire size be printed on the original canister, while a replacement canister indicate multiple sizes? Wouldn't expect he parts dept. to carry a different can for every size tire.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

IZRSSS

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:15:22 PM »
Thanks J.  
All three tires/rubber from what I can see appear close for the exception of the serial# mine is 14453T296 & the #643G-2 which follows "MADE IN U.S.A."  All other markings are identical.  It's obvious though that we have two different rims at least code wise.  However, it does appear that all three are consistant with paint.  The show side is off-white or very light beige (at least I think yours is this shade) and the inside is gray. I took another look at the ID and its definitely HE on one side of the stem and 1 on the other.  No other numbers or letters.

Tom has interesting advise with regards to the canister please let us know what you find.

Hopefully we'll have more people weighing in who are familiar with this tire.

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 02:21:57 PM »
I had this saved on my computer from an ebay listing for a supposed 69 Camaro space saver. Also gray in collor and other than the code identicle in appearance to both the one I posted and IZRSSS posted.

Here is the item description..
A vintage GM Space Saver spare tire! This was never mounted on the car and is in as new condition as can be expected for a spare tire! It is a GM spare and has the (MI) code by the valve stem. This was bought from a reliable Camaro NOS dealer who said the codes indicate it is for 1969 GM car. The center reads GM - 5 - NT by the center hub. It is 4 ply rayon. Inventory # 89524800. Shelf position = 121509-5.

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 11:30:33 PM »
If this is the case, your spare is much more accurate than mine. However, now we have two different individuals telling each of us that these are the correct spares. Again, I hope this doesn't turn out to be a two way conversation. Obviously more data is needed before a consensus can be determined.  

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 04:13:21 PM »
If this is the case, your spare is much more accurate than mine. However, now we have two different individuals telling each of us that these are the correct spares. Again, I hope this doesn't turn out to be a two way conversation. Obviously more data is needed before a consensus can be determined.   

Two way conversaton?

How do you think my spare is more acurate?

Could the numbers on the tires that are different between mine and yours be the numbers he reffers to as envintory and shelf position numbers? If this is the case then that would make the tires identicle with only the codes on the wheel being different? Assuming they are all original first gen spares we need to figure out what the system was on the coding.

Also.. Was there more than one supplier on the space saver wheels and could this account for the different collors?

Im just posting all the information I can find on them so maybe we can learn a little more about them. Still have hope that someone will someday see this thread that has knowledge on the SSS and chime in with what they know.

IZRSSS

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 08:37:28 PM »
Two way conversation...meaning no one else on this site seems to know anything about this spare.  We are getting plenty of hits but either no one knows or no one wants to help.  You posted this previously and I don't think you had any results back then...or am I wrong?

All of your information is right on track.  We just need more feedback.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:08:31 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 10:58:16 PM »
J, I sent a request to Coker tire along with pics. I'll let you know if I receive a response...

anything