Author Topic: Need 69 Camaro buying advice  (Read 11310 times)

wubomber

• View Profile
Need 69 Camaro buying advice
« on: October 01, 2010, 02:51:04 AM »
I came across this 69 Camaro on ebay and I am seriously interested in buying it. Can some of you more experienced Camaro owners give me some advice and let me know if this is a good deal for the car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170545578012&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

dannystarr

• View Profile
Re: Need 69 Camaro buying advice
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 06:24:39 AM »
wubomber...well in my opinion that's a WIDE open question. Of course anything is worth what somebody wants to pay for it. So let me just throw ya some things.

Is it a real SS car or was the SS package added? Does he have the original hood? Is that special ducted hood that is on it now an original hood or after market? Was it always a V-8 car or is it a converted six banger? Is the VIN stamped on the Trans? Is the rear-end original? Do you care if it is a numbers matching car? Again IMO having the wrong engine in it drops the value 5 to 7K or MORE. But if it is a good running semi-fresh engine then maybe you are ok with that. I am a numbers guy and would not even look twice. Do the hidden VIN's match the title of the car? Are you going to show it at big time shows? Or even small town shows with no real wants for trophies? Paint is 7 years old, that usually means 10 years!! Complete paint jobs go for about 15K depending on where you live. Or you can save some $ if you don't have to do the underhood--Jams--trunk areas. AGAIN, do you care. Is this just a runner to have a nice old Camaro in pretty nice shape to cruise around? How far is it from you? Get a shipping quote. I use DAS shipping. It just never ends, I could go on and on. Ya gotta go see it and drive it no matter what. Unless you got 20K laying around and don't care. Do a compression test on it, takes less than an hour and tells ya alot. Try to figure out what you think it needs and figure in all those costs. It's a good bet that it is not a rust bucket due to the Cali upringing, so that's a good sign. Crawl in the trunk and look for original quarter panels. An OLD OLD body shop guy told me many years ago....NEVER buy a car that has had its quarters replaced. No matter what anybody tells ya they are never the same. I just had a chance to buy a 69' Z/28 all original with a very fair price tag, but you guested it, quarters replaced so I passed. THAT'S just me. If you don't give a crap about anything I said and you can't wait to do a power brake in it, then over him 14K. Then if you really want it 17K. WAY to hard to estimate a price without seeing it. Good Luck!...........Danny

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:39:15 AM »
Just my 2 cents

as a 69SS owner with almost all of the original parts...
This is a SS CLONE. Heck not even a clone

SS with X44? As to the best of my knowledge the SS350 had an x code of X11.
I believe, and please correct me if I am wrong, an SS would have a deluxe interior (of which is not evident in this particular car)

There apear to be many descrepencies to the description and the actual vehicle

personally I would pass (as I am a numbers matching type of person)
Chris
69 SS 350

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:50:20 PM »
Read this for 69's.  Anyone that hasn't read the header information on the CRG home page needs to.  Great information on all first gens.

http://www.camaros.org/diffs69.shtml

Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »
It's a Clone !!
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 02:34:51 PM »
Pretty car, but it's a made-up clone of an SS with incorrect Z/28 stripes, 10-bolt rear end, and lots of wrong parts.

SS didn't include the deluxe interior - that was a separate option.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

wubomber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 04:44:48 PM »
Thanks for your responses guys. I am in no way considered a gearhead. My buying interest is just strictly cause I like the looks of the classic cars and not for winning any trophies in car shows. So pretty much what I gather is if its not restored back to the factory original then the car holds no value for use or resale. However if it is original the $18-$22k price range is a mirage and it should be selling for $40-$80k.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:09:47 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but if I was selling a car and some would be buyer tried to turn into a spanish inquisition with all their questions and demands, I'd just tell them to forget it. Don't need
'em.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

67L78

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 08:24:51 PM »
I quess I'm old fashion but i would never buy a car on ebay unless i went and looked at the car in person. Sounds like this might be your first classic car purchase,if so take someone with you to look at any car if you don't feel comfortable with your knowledge of camaros. Most camaros have rust unless they have spent their life in the southwest. As for not buying a camaro that has had quarters put on it I disagree to let it pass. If put on right its o.k., thats where knowledge of what you are looking at comes in play. Take your time in purchasing a camaro, there are a lot of them out there for sale. I think its best to by from private owner not a dealer. Good luck and enjoy the hobby.

Richard

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 09:05:15 PM »
Yeah, it's easy to pick these cars apart...
I have what I suspect to be a 'clone' and a numbers of things are 'not right'...
but guess what... I don't care. I'm having fun with it and I don't worry too much
about driving it all over.

So if you like it and can get it for a reasonable cost... I say 'buy it'.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 09:14:16 PM »
wubomber, Well you heard it all here. These people know their stuff and when asked it's answered good or bad. Just to hi-light the main question as brought forward   What are your plans with the car?   Honest question but do you know the answer? Take the time to learn and study these cars. It took me 14 months to find the car I wanted and in those 14 months I learned more crap than I ever thought I needed to know. But now I know it wasn't crap. I got educated from everywhere I looked and everyone I talked to. It all helped me decide what I wanted and how I wanted to do it. The economy right now is ripe to P/U that great car you always wanted but an uneducated buyer beware!! Take your time and learn about options such as did the SS come with deluxe interior? Answer given was NO. Easy question to answer if you have the time to study. I knew if 2+2 did not equal 4 then I would pass on that car. A lot of owners add options to their cars, it's not the worse thing I've seen or heard of but if you're lucky enough to have a build sheet and some documentation then it could be of some concern. Figure out what you want, do your homework and enjoy the hunt. It's a fun hobby so best of luck!! By the way this car is 15-20 minutes from my house and it is everything these members say it is.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 03:10:41 AM »
Well guys, I HAD to chime back in......As far as the quarters replaced thing..he told me a bunch of things that convinced me. The car is just NOT the same. If will never be the same. You get the best body guy in the world to do the work. Once it's all cut to hell. It's just that.. But of course, anybody could do what they want. I passed on that Z/28 with a matching drive train, but that's what I wanted to do. It's all a personal thing really.

As far as asking too many questions, it sure wouldn't work for us. Cause I ask at least 50 to 100. I'm not going to drop 60 or 70K without knowing EVERYTHING I can. You would be a fool not to. That's for guys with more money than brains. And there is tons of them out there. I start at the bottom and work my way up. What is the codes on ALL 5 wheels? When was the last time you did a brake inspection, packed the wheel bearings?? Turn the drums or rotors?? What did they mic out at? And then I go nuts from there. All the way up to the drip rail molding on an X-33. Is it real molding or aftermarket. Anyway. Good luck. Like the guys said, if ya don't care then buy it and enjoy it. And when the bearings heat up and freeze, you will think of me....ha ha....Danny

babaron

• 1969 L78 convertble
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »
My 2 cents:  I agree with researching and learning about these cars BEFORE making a decision.  It took me a year and what I thought I wanted in the beginning was not at all what I wanted after a year of research. The name of the game is to buy something that EXCITES you. Whatever it is that excites you may not be apparent right away. After you do your homework (CRG is an excellent place to start), then ask yourself what excites you about classic cars.  Then, start seriously looking. The hunt is as fun as the catch!  GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!

Ron
Enjoy Life!

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 11:47:44 AM »
My 2 cents,
Originality, body parts, condition are all relative to price. You want to pay what a car is worth. Once you buy it if you find another more to you likeing it is nice if you can sell it and at least get most of your money back. Research helps a lot but sometimes the early bird gets the best worm. It is really fun when you pay for something questionable at that price and later find you have something special. I bought my L78 at a price that a clone would be worth and was thrilled later to find out it was the real deal. It is all fun unless you pay for that Z28 only to find out later it is not a real Z28.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

wubomber

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 12:05:03 AM »
Thanks again guys. Like I said before although it would be nice to have a true original 1st gen camaro, it just wouldn't serve it's purpose for me. I am just looking for a second car and was going to buy a used Tahoe or a new full size truck but I said why have two cars siting in my garage losing value by the day if I can spend less money and by a restored classic car and enjoy it and then when it is time to sell it I can recover all or most of money back. I like the 1st Gen Camaros, the early 70's Chevelles and the 67 fastback mustang.

My main concern is not overpaying for a vehicle and making sure I pick one that isn't going to breakdown on me every other month.

anything