Author Topic: Crank and water pump pulleys what is the best ??  (Read 4223 times)

opelitis1

• View Profile
Crank and water pump pulleys what is the best ??
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Have some pulleys from the 60s - 70s that have to be cleaned up.. What is the safest and best way to go about this??  Is it okay to spray can paint or paint 'em with a spray gun??
Thanks!
Ted

big iron

• View Profile
Re: Crank and water pump pulleys what is the best ??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:34:20 AM »
Ted,
Are the pulleys rusted, or is the black original paint in good shape?
Bob
Have some pulleys from the 60s - 70s that have to be cleaned up.. What is the safest and best way to go about this??  Is it okay to spray can paint or paint 'em with a spray gun??
Thanks!
Ted

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »
Believe black paint was spray canned on a couple of years ago.. There is some rust on other pulleys that were just spray can painted over.  I guess to hide the rust, that was the way, way back, eh??
Ted

68rs327conv

• View Profile
    • The build
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:59:30 AM »
I had mind sand blasted and then plated grey phosphate using the Palmetto System chemicals.  Came out great and no need to paint.  I noticed the back of my original pulley was grey and not painted. 

Mike
Mike
68 RS Conv 327/210hp, Powerglide Factory AC

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:33:07 PM »
Here's the finish specification that was on almost all Chevrolet pulley drawings in the 60's - there were several optional finishing processes available to the pulley suppliers, any of which were acceptable. "Parkolac 30" was a blackening agent to darken a phosphate coating.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything