Author Topic: Tail Light Housing Finish  (Read 3989 times)

69-er

• View Profile
Tail Light Housing Finish
« on: September 28, 2010, 03:22:09 AM »
What is the finish of the tail light housings on a 68 non-RS?

The reflectors inside of my housings are a dull chrome/aluminized plating.  Was the entire housing finished this way?

After stripping the exterior of the housing of paint and other crud with paint stripper, I was left with a dull, bare metal surface.  The interior reflector finish was unaffected by the stripper.

69-er

• View Profile
Re: Tail Light Housing Finish
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 12:51:25 AM »
UPDATE:

Upon inspecting the cleaned and dry housings, I can see remnants of the plating on the exterior lip, and some of it on the main body of the housing. Most of it is on the bottom where it would have been more protected.  There is especially a good amount on the surfaces of the mounting tabs that were against the sheetmetal openings)

I tried to take pictures, but no matter how I tried to change the lighting and camera settings, it was hard to tell where the plating remnants were.

I'm beginning to think the whole housing had this dull chrome plating, inside and out.

Can anybody look at their housings and tell what you find?

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 01:31:44 AM »
They were galvanized. New galvy is lustrous, old has just a dull patina. Ever see a new chain link fence post vs an old one?

69-er

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 02:09:18 AM »
Never thought of that.  If that's the case, I would have to say the entire housing would have been galvanized.

I know what you mean by galvanized surfaces being pretty shiny when new.  The reflectors sure seem bright, even for galvanized.  I wonder if it could have been a different type, one that's not common.  It would have to be a fragile type because even inside the trunk it's all gone on the outside of the housing except for the small areas of remnants.

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 02:33:08 AM »
Mine, OK, some spares I have lying around, seem to be the same inside and out.  That galvanized pattern on both.  The inside IS cleaner and a bit shinier...

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 03:17:12 AM »
The inside is shinier as it should be, it's protected. The outside is 40 years old and it also appears as expected. Take a look at new galvy material. Some flat/round stock and even ducting is quite shiny. Look at brand new guardrails replaced along a highway.

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 03:18:33 AM »
Agreed.

anything