Author Topic: Calling on you Camaro Experts. Nobody has been able to figure this out yet!  (Read 7129 times)

jbss69

• View Profile
I am hoping you Camaro experts can help me with decoding a 1969 Camaro with a unusual code on the cowl tag. Most codes are what I pasted below
My code has a Z121 where there is normally a X## code exists. Most of the z## cars have 2 digits and seem to be Indy related. I am at a total loss on this one...This is a 12437#### car from LA built in September if that helps...

Can you tell me what this is? Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
jason_boylan@yahoo.com

Location H - Exterior Trim Codes

X11 - Style Trim Group (includes SS350)* (Be sure to check out the * below)
X22 - Style Trim Group with SS396 (black rear panel)
X33 - Style Trim Group with Special Performance Equipment (Z28)
X44 - Base car
X55 - Base car with SS350 (rear fender louvers, black body sill**)
X66 - Base car with SS396 (rear fender louvers, black rear panel, black body sill**)
X77 - Base car with Special Performance Equipment (Z28)
Z11 - Indy Pace Car Accents convertible
Z10 - Indy Pace Car Accents coupe - Hardtop (estimates between 250 and 500)
D80 - Air Spoiler Equipment (when used not all cars built with spoilers were coded)
(Other) - See our FAQ Section on other 69 Location H Codes not listed here

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
That is a plant scheduling code used only at Van Nuys; has nothing to do with the configuration of the vehicle. The code is alpha-numeric so it is merely a coincidence that yours has a Z. The next day probably started back at A001.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
And BTW,  all cars built at Los Angles had a similar batch number.

The X11 etc codes you listed are unique to NORWOOD built Camaro's ONLY.
Mike
Owned new (and still have stashed away) LOL
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
2002 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

johnta1

• View Profile
The 'Z' is the last work day of the month your car was built. It was the 121st car off the line on that day.

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
But as many don't seem to realize is that it takes several days to actually complete the buiild, so that is the scheduled day of the start of production for the body and it could have been 2 or more days to make it to the end of the Chevrolet line. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 01:13:06 PM by Z71 »
Mike
Owned new (and still have stashed away) LOL
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
2002 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Here's even more detailed info (from the Decoding FAQ):

LOS - Fisher Body body scheduling code

The LOS (Los Angeles/Van Nuys) body scheduling code is a letter followed by one to three digits, e.g., F103. Based on data analysis only (there is no GM documentation yet available that describes this code) - but with consistent application to thousands of datapoints - CRG believes the code was used by LOS Fisher Body (and other plants that built multiple carlines) to aid in scheduling the body build order.

The letter indicates the approximate production day of the month for the start of the assembly of each vehicle body. It began with letter "A" on the first day of the month of the Fisher production calendar, incremented at the start of each additional production day to the next alphabetic letter, and was reset to letter "A" at the start of the next production month. (Note that the Fisher production calendar is known to differ slightly from the calendar month, and we also do not yet know exactly how the Fisher production calendar related to the Chevrolet monthly production reporting calendar.)

The one-to-three digit sequence number that follows the letter was reset to 1 at the start of each production day and was incremented serially with each body built by the factory as the day progressed. Data analysis indicates that the sequence number at the LOS plant was assigned regardless of model or body type. By this we mean that Camaros and full-size passenger cars both incremented the same sequence counter. The unit counter was reset to 1 the next day as the day-of-the-month code letter incremented to the next letter. In the example, F103 would indicate the sixth day of production for a given month and the 103rd body started on that sixth day of production.
Kurt S
CRG

anything