Author Topic: L78 stalls when hard braking  (Read 12501 times)

red67l78

• View Profile
Re: L78 stalls when hard braking
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »
Personally i start my car up at least one time throught the winter time. Wait for a warmer day and start car up. let run till nice and warm. This helps battery and charging system componets. Also trans fluid runs throught trans. Water pump turns also. Valve train is changed location. Rubber diaphrams throught out car are moved, distributor ,power brakes , carb power valves.fuel pump, auto trans too. Basically move things that are sitting idle over the winter. Oh ya. I pump my brakes at least 3-4 times over the winter to move diaphrams there to.  Please keep fire extimgusher near car and easy to find.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 04:23:37 PM »
Alot of times they might leak because of something as simple as loose screws. Can you see where it is leaking from ? If you gently tighten the 4 float bowl screws on each end of the carb you might stop the leak.

red67l78

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »
Hey Bar give us alittle more info on problem.  These engines have very little vaccume @ idle.  So idle needs to be healthy. Do you have power brakes?  carb size and stock intake?  Do you down shift to slow car?

babaron

• 1969 L78 convertble
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »
This car has the stock pwr front disc brakes and the original 4346 Holley carb.  I try not to downshift a lot but do a little now and then. This problem may be a moot point now that I've sent it off to be rebuilt. I expect it back in a week or two and will update you all on how it works. Thanks!
Enjoy Life!

red67l78

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 12:21:20 AM »
Get info from rebuilder about what jets and power valves are in it and what he is putting in. Ask him if float settings were off. You may need this info later. Get vacumme reading when you reinstall carb.  Check one way valve in brake booster.

anything