Author Topic: Carolina Blue/Powder Blue '69  (Read 74287 times)

IZRSSS

Re: Carolina Blue/Powder Blue '69
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »
Forgot to mention...Mr. :-X also stated the car is stripe delete.  At any rate I'm not really sure I want to remove them.  From what I've been able to research, the hockey stripes have been applied correctly.  The fendor portion has been painted on and extends slightly beyond the front lower fendor seam and the doors have been applied with stick-ons.  If you have a chance please weigh in; stripe on or off.  At the end of this month your vote will tell me what to do.

Thanks

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2010, 02:03:58 AM »
The stripes set the car off... I would leave them.
69 SS/RS Hugger orange-Ivory houndstooth, endura.
69 RS Conv. Black/Black-Ivory interior, endura, DX1.

IZRSSS

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2010, 02:32:42 AM »
Thanks Jeremiah!  Not just for the vote but also for helping me track the history of the car!

IZRSSS

« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »
I hope I don't tick-off too many people with this question but I have to ask it one more (promise) time.  No one answered this the first time it was asked so please be patient with me.  What is this Carolina Blue?  Please give me a paint code, dealerships/company etc. that offered it.  I would like to get my hands on this color chart.  Or...is this just a case of Carolinian's adopting Powder Blue as their own?

If you could get this color from just about any car manufacturer does anyone know what these colors were called.  If not can you offer recommendations on how this can be researched?

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2010, 12:17:48 PM »
It is well covered in this thread, including the GM paint code.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

IZRSSS

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
With all due respect, and I mean this sincerely...the only thing mentioned is that people have seen Carolina blue cars.  The other is that GM offered two special paint options under code 80 which is powder blue and azure blue, which I posted.  No one has given information on how this Carolina blue color came to be...

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2010, 01:00:08 PM »
Carolina Blue is team color for sports teams at the University Of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. They paint the streets blue when they win big games. The busses and firetrucks in Chapel Hill are Carolina Blue. Tarheel fans are serious people who are often seen wearing Carolina Blue everything. Back in the 60,s and 70,s Carolina Blue cars were very popular here and still are. The Duke fans even liked it but we called it Baby Blue. The cruize ins and shows are slowing down here but there are a few more. If I find A real one I will check the codes and post.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2010, 02:08:21 PM »
80 was the GM paint code. Different names for different brands (Buick, Pontiac, Olds, whichever), but the same color. A - - paint code indicates special order paint. That is all  - - tells you. Could be any GM color except for some of the Caddy only colors. Could be a special fleet color not standard on any line. Could also be non standard stripe color, or it could be stripe delete. Powder Blue = Azure Blue = GM paint code 80.  Code 80 was not offered on the 69 Camaro, but if you knew how, it could be special ordered. Hope this helps.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2010, 03:00:01 PM »
Carolina/Colorado blue could be any custom color that someone requested. Doesn't have to be 80, but it often is, IMO.
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2010, 07:27:38 PM »
Thanks Kelley, Tom & Kurt!  This is exactly what I was searching for.  Kelley, I certainly understand a states commitment to its collegian sports.  UNC is without question a powerhouse worthy of this support.  Trust me when I say if UNM Football wasn't 3rd worst in the Nation I would consider my other muscle car dedicated to their program (cherry/red) as well.  Oh well, there's always next season, & next season, &...

Tom & Kurt, this pretty much sums up both sides of the spectrum.  Those that choose a GM Special Paint and those that choose from a different company or manufactures paint-line.  Those that choose to order outside of GM in turn identified these other colors as UNC, UCLA, Carolina and Colorado...Blue.  Am I close?  At any rate, thanks again for being patient with me.  I know this thread has been frustrating.

Pardon my ignorance, what is IMO?

I have attached a GM Color Chart which I'm certain most of you have seen.  Hopes this helps a little.  (at least I think I've attached it.  First try...)

SORRY...BLEW THE ATTACHMENT!

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2010, 07:40:50 PM »
IMO =In My Opinion
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »
2ND try...this ought to be an adventure...

Hallelujah!

IZRSSS

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2010, 10:55:23 PM »
Here are a few pics of the '69...

IZRSSS

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2010, 10:56:35 PM »
A few more...

IZRSSS

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2010, 10:58:44 PM »