Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

'69 Door Latch Screws (paint or no paint)

(1/4) > >>

IZRSSS:
I know this topic has been beat to death.  My dilemma...reliable sources say yes the door latch screws were painted from the factory and others say no.
The explanation that makes the most sense to me is the latch was not assembled until the doors were painted.  This information comes from a prominent car enthusiast and restorer of our community that worked at assembly plants.  Is this true or does this mean that all GM plants did it differently?

77thor:
I am no expert, but I have only seen them painted.

IZRSSS:
Any thoughts with respect to some plants yes and some no?

x77-69z28:
i know that 67's were not painted. 69's were painted. not sure for 68. somewhere along the line the process changed

IZRSSS:
Even though my source is very adamant about these bolts not being painted I have to assume that he did not work at a camaro production-line plant.  I will also say that I agree with what is being said here simply because there were 243K + units built in '69 and into '70.  GM probably looked at every possible phase of assembly that could expedite production.  My car has been repainted once and I plan to buff at least one screw to see if the original paint is underneath.  On thing I have found with buffing painted surfaces is that the original paint does not come off with light grit buffing.  This was the case with the door jamb stricker washers.  I'll let you know what I find.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page