Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Date correct alternator for 12C '68 L34

(1/3) > >>

My68SS:
Hi all, would a 37A 1100794 alternator date stamped 7L30 be about date correct for a 12c '68 L34 w/o ac with an engine cast of 7K30 and engine build of 1204?

KurtS:
Yes, that date looks good.

My68SS:
Thanks Kurt, :)
It's a re-buildable oneone I picked up of ebay to replace my obviously wrong one [date code, type, current, 2 groove L6 pulley - all incorrect] that came with the car.

My68SS:
Actually, after reading this current carby thread http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7068.0 in the decoding board, I realised I wasn't calculating the dates quite correctly anyway.
I was assuming an alternator date that had to be slightly before the engine date.
This assumption was incorrect as the engine date is for only the bare long motor [minus carby, alt, dist etc.]
Whilst 7L30 is valid, it could have been anything up to about 7M8 or even later - i.e. after the engine date would also be valid [maybe more valid?]

In fact, depending on the exact time line between fisher body building, engine final assembly and chevrolet vehicle assembly, an alternator date that is in the same week as the fisher body date may also be possible.....

KurtS:
Yup, that's true.
Except dist came with the engine...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page