Author Topic: Factory headrests  (Read 6520 times)

1967rsssconvertible

• View Profile
Factory headrests
« on: September 13, 2010, 05:31:14 AM »
I have a '67 rs/ss convertible with the factory headrests and deluxe interior. Long story short, involving racoon's, I need new foams for the headrests, the rear seat foam and a complete interior kit. Anyone have any help?

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: Factory headrests
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:01:43 AM »
I know they sell the rear seat "foam" (really cotton and berlap) kits, now.  I got one.  I think it was $75.  Haven't tried it, yet.  I will be recovering my '67 Firebird bucket seats with '68 Camaro Houndstooth covers.  My seats have headrests.  I plan on making the headrest covers myself from vinyl I bought that is correct.  My foam is still in the correct shape, I just wonder if it was always so firm...  I am thinking about bringing them to a local interior shop and asking if they have any similar foam.  But I might just cover them they way they are.  Sorry if I wasn't much help.

1967rsssconvertible

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 03:20:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply! Where did you get the rear seat kit? Also who has the best interior kits for the money? I'm not looking at a show car kit but a nice driver thats looks great.

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 07:25:26 PM »
Rick's: http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-seat-padding-rear-kit-1967-1969.html

I've heard that PUI is pretty good for seat covers.  I forgot the name of the manufacturer that people like for interior parts (panels, etc.).  You can go to Team Camaro and search the interior section.  LOTS of good info there.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 09:04:04 PM »
You can buy the rear seat supplies much cheaper at a fabric store. The vendors just mark it up. Every upholsterer buys products from the most direct source. Same practice applies to any business.

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 05:54:43 AM »
Man, after doing some searching on Team Camaro, I would recommend not trying to remove your original headrest "covers".  They aren't covers!  They are basically like the dash pad.  They are molded.  I've read that it will ruin the foam trying to remove the "vinyl"...  Most people put new covers right over the original headrest.  Some cut down the molded bead first.   I pulled one off my car (again) and took a good look.  The bottom appears to be molded, not glued down.  Unfortunately, it also appears mine are spread appart at the bottom and would need to be brought together to create the original curve in the bottom (for '67s).  Swell.  Now what?  I guess I will try to glue something on the bottom to hold the edges closer to create the curve.  There is a sheet of plastic hanging there that apprears original and would fit perfectly if the edges were closer.  Man.......

OBIWAN2T

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »
WERE THE FACTORY HEADRESTS ONLY FOR THE BENCH SEAT OR DID THEY ALSO PUT THEM ON BUCKET SEATS ON A 67 CAMARO ??

1967rsssconvertible

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:58:23 AM »
No- I have the deluxe interior with buckets but what I have found out it is fairly rare, I think it was less than 10% that had buckets with headrests.

sshippe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »
I think the total is 2400 cars with headrests in 67 and again in 68.  Somehow I got lucky and have a 67 and 68, each with headrests