Author Topic: Torque Drive and A.I.R. (smog)  (Read 3896 times)

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
Torque Drive and A.I.R. (smog)
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:56:30 PM »
Just out of curiosity, for 68 and 69, were torque drive equiped cars considered automatics or manuals to determine whether they should have an A.I.R. (smog) system installed? Thanks, Joe.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Torque Drive and A.I.R. (smog)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 08:37:34 PM »
Just out of curiosity, for 68 and 69, were torque drive equiped cars considered automatics or manuals to determine whether they should have an A.I.R. (smog) system installed? Thanks, Joe.

Torque-Drive cars were considered to be automatics; they used Powerglide engines. Torque-Drive was essentially a Powerglide with a manual valve body.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:59:48 PM »
Torque-Drive cars were considered to be automatics; they used Powerglide transmissions.  Torque-Drive was essentially a Powerglide with a manual valve body.

Paul

Marty

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »
I think what John meant was they used an engine coded for a Powerglide car, not a manual trans car.

Martin
Martin Foltz
CRG Member
68 Van Nuys Camaro

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »
I think what John meant was they used an engine coded for a Powerglide car, not a manual trans car.

Martin

That's correct - manual transmission-coded engines came from the engine plant with flywheels, clutches and belllhousings, and automatic transmission-coded engines came with only a flexplate. Automatic-transmission engines didn't care which automatic transmission would be installed - they all used the same flexplate.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG