CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 02:11:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
105714 Posts in 12341 Topics by 4754 Members
Latest Member: Jake
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Originality
| | |-+  Torque Drive and A.I.R. (smog)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Torque Drive and A.I.R. (smog)  (Read 1316 times)
stovebolt

1968 Sport Coupe

View Profile Email
« on: September 11, 2010, 07:56:30 AM »

Just out of curiosity, for 68 and 69, were torque drive equiped cars considered automatics or manuals to determine whether they should have an A.I.R. (smog) system installed? Thanks, Joe.
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:37:34 PM »

Just out of curiosity, for 68 and 69, were torque drive equiped cars considered automatics or manuals to determine whether they should have an A.I.R. (smog) system installed? Thanks, Joe.

Torque-Drive cars were considered to be automatics; they used Powerglide engines. Torque-Drive was essentially a Powerglide with a manual valve body.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
1968RSZ28

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »

Torque-Drive cars were considered to be automatics; they used Powerglide transmissions.  Torque-Drive was essentially a Powerglide with a manual valve body.

Paul
Marty
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:48:26 AM »

I think what John meant was they used an engine coded for a Powerglide car, not a manual trans car.

Martin

Martin Foltz
CRG Member
68 Van Nuys Camaro
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:59:36 PM »

I think what John meant was they used an engine coded for a Powerglide car, not a manual trans car.

Martin

That's correct - manual transmission-coded engines came from the engine plant with flywheels, clutches and belllhousings, and automatic transmission-coded engines came with only a flexplate. Automatic-transmission engines didn't care which automatic transmission would be installed - they all used the same flexplate.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: