Author Topic: Just Bought "Numbers Matching" 67 RS/SS, Did I Make A Mistake?  (Read 40682 times)

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Just Bought "Numbers Matching" 67 RS/SS, Did I Make A Mistake?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 08:33:47 PM »
JohnZ,

What is your take on the 9 and 6 issue I have with the engine's Partial VIN stamp vs the Full VIN? Could this have been a stamping mistake at the assembly plant? Or is it more likely one of the two previous owners tracked down this engine that was almost exactly the same partial vin stamp??

Thanks for your ideas!

Rick

It could be a plant error, but it's unlikely at that position in the gang holder; the die in that position was only changed once a day. A good close-up photo (using the camera's "macro" mode) of the pad would be helpful.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

naptownrick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 05:45:45 PM »
I will post the pictures tomorrow, I have them on my computer at work. I have spent some time with the Protect-o-Plate today, the engine code on the plate (V0221MS) matches the code on the engine block, so I am thinking this might confirm the engine is numbers matching? Or could someone still have found the correct date code block with a very close VIN?

Thanks
Rick

NED

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 11:54:33 PM »
Stamping error, plain and simple 
Clem
Bill
67Z Bench seat
69JL8 Burnish Brown
67 camaro modified ls1,6 speed, 9 "rear

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 01:00:41 AM »
Post the photos. Like I said earlier if the thousand die was wrong I would expect there to be a number of other mis stamped blocks from the same day. Post a photo.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »
Post the photos. Like I said earlier if the thousand die was wrong I would expect there to be a number of other mis stamped blocks from the same day. Post a photo.
Yup, the previous 521 would have also been wrong....possible but seems far fetched. Another possibility is that number could have accidentally slipped out while changing from 521 to 522 - distraction, accidental dropping of gang etc.
522 gets stamped wrong, the error is noticed and corrected for 523.
I know I would be driven to distraction [exasperation!!] with changing numbers in a gang all day!!
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

naptownrick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »
See attached pictures, I have attached two of the partial vin/engine code with one being a little easier to read. I also attached the VIN plate from the door jamb.

The vin on the door jamb and the engine code on the block both match the Protect-o-plate.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
Do you have a shot of the engine code stamp? That would help.
Kurt S
CRG

naptownrick

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »
Attached below is the block casting number (3892657). The full Engine Code is visible on the one of the previous pictures next to the partial VIN (V022IMS).

(whoops, just realized the "S" is not in the picture. I can re-take that later if necessary, but I am sure that is correct)

Is there any other number I should look for?

Thanks!
Rick

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »
Sorry, I missed it.
Not definitive, but I suspect it's original stampings.
Kurt S
CRG

naptownrick

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 05:58:45 PM »
Good to hear. I wont be selling this car, I am keeping it to enjoy and restore for a very long time. I expect I may have problems with this discrepancy if I ever do sell it, but I'm hoping the rest of the documentation supercedes the apparent mistake made during the stamping. All I can do it present the documentation I have, and hopefully it will be worth more than a car that doesnt have the Protect-o-plate and original title. I want to base the level of restoration on my findings, so maybe I wont go quite as far as I would have if the numbers matched without question. Either way, I'll have fun doing it!

One question I didnt ask before, if the engine is stamped at the car assembly plant, does this mean the partial VIN on the transmission might also be stamped at the same time? By the same stamper? Maybe I'll find the tranny to have the same issue, I'll post what I find.

Thanks,
Rick

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 01:42:16 AM »
No matter what its still a real RS/SS,congrats on the purchase and enjoy the ride!! ;D
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 04:18:56 AM »

One question I didnt ask before, if the engine is stamped at the car assembly plant, does this mean the partial VIN on the transmission might also be stamped at the same time? By the same stamper? Maybe I'll find the tranny to have the same issue, I'll post what I find.

Thanks,
Rick

If you look thru the CRG Reports to the article The First-Generation Camaro Assembly Process, it indicates that the engine pad and trans were both stamped in the same operation on the engine dress line.  You would assume that the same stamp gang from the engine was used on the trans, but JohnZ might confirm as he authored the article. 

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 04:22:56 PM »

Thanks,
Rick

Typically both partial VIN stamps were done at the same time, by the same operator, using the same gang holder, after the transmission was bolted to the bellhousing.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

babaron

• 1969 L78 convertble
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »
So did they stamp the trans the same way?  I'm dying to see.

Ron
Enjoy Life!

naptownrick

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 02:17:45 AM »
Sorry, I'm really procrasinting on checking this. I havent even been able to drive her since last Friday. I will definately check by this weekend, work is kicking my butt!

Rick