Author Topic: AMK Products finish question  (Read 7008 times)

spb180

• View Profile
AMK Products finish question
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:31:51 PM »
How do I know which finish to order with AMK? Most of the stuff I have on my list is either S2 (phosphate & oil) or S8 (Zinc).

Thanks
Scott
1969 ss/rs convertible, 396/325, numbers matching

big iron

• View Profile
Re: AMK Products finish question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:18:17 AM »
Scott,
If you restoring  a driver?
S2 Phosphate is gray or black.
S8 Zinc is silver.
If you do not have the original bolt you will have to look in the _?_ ( you did not specify what year you have) Assembly manual. Find the part # of bolt needed, then cross reference the # in the back of the AMK catalog to the page number.The page shows the AMK number,  size and finish.
If you need original then you will also have to research each bolt style and head bolt markings as AMK's are not always correct.
Bob
How do I know which finish to order with AMK? Most of the stuff I have on my list is either S2 (phosphate & oil) or S8 (Zinc).

Thanks
Scott

spb180

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:28:13 AM »
Bob,

1969 ss/rs convertible, 396/325, loaded with options, numbers matching.

I got that far with the cross reference. The issue is I am having is that some of the part numbers from the AIM come in 2 different finishes from AMK. Without having the orginal bolts I do not know which finish to get. Not worried much about markings but want to gt color right.

Restoring a driver. Long story. Took to a guy a year ago for some work. He did the disassembly. I had to take the car back so I got all the bolts back in 1 bag. I am going to start from scratch with the fasteners.

Thanks

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 02:05:39 AM »
Nice ride,
Need more info.
I am assuming that all bolts in the bag  are identified as to where they go and you are you trying to find finishes for bolts you do not have.
Bob

spb180

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 11:44:56 AM »
No, I wish it was that easy. They are all in 1 bag, everything from the firewall forward was disassembled. I have the engine and tranny back in the car and control arms are on. I want to start putting stuff back together and figured it would be easier to purchase correct bolts than hunt in the bag for what is correct. They would all need to be painted the correct finish anyway.

Should I post the ones that come in 2 different finishes?

Scott

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
Scott,
Have you considered buying the  master detailing kits that AMK has to offer? By buying the master kits or individual kits all the guess work about fastener finish is done for you. All the parts come in small bags, all you have to do is match the UPC numbers printed on the bag with the UPC numbers in your 69 Assembly Manual .
I believe that the kits in the long run would the fastest, least expensive and produce the best over all appearance in your case.
Posting hardware for identification can be a a very long process, even with pictures.
Bob

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »
This was somewhat discussed here:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=6895.0

So there could be a supplier (marking) difference depending on LOS or NOR.  Not sure how tight they were on fastener finish specs, but I suspect it was not an exact science and there could also be variations within a plant if a supplier had issues and was substituted or changed their product.  Probably the only way to be 100% sure is if you found the car immediately before and after yours, and they were both good survivors.  Unless you're going concours, I'd do the kits as Bob suggests.  Otherwise you'll go nuts second guessing and never get the car on the road and enjoy it.     

spb180

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 04:12:46 PM »
Thanks everyone. I think I will just buy the master kits.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:24 PM »
I have all my bolts bagged seperate and labeled where they came from BUT I went ahead with the master kits from AMK and it's some of the best money I have spent. It's making short work of assembly.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 02:08:32 AM »
spb180; as tmodel66 pointed out above AMK does put together kits.  Depending on what you need, it might be more economical and I believe they know which finish is correct.  They do have a phone# - 540-662-7820, give it a try and see what kind of tech. service you get.   With everything they offer, I would tend to think that they keep on top of what is correct for what application.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 09:24:22 AM »
I have bagged and mark most of my original Bolts and fasteners. When cleaning them up,(after 43 years)most of the time it is hard to tell what the original finish and/or the head markings were.  Most of the time I end up going to my AMK book to find out. On the back cover they have a description of their codes for different finishes.  Most of the time their codes make sense.  As for markings, I guess you have to trust someone.  It's still better than just using "generic", unless of course your just building a "Driver".
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

anything